jobs in the industry

Guest greg

It amazes me as to how lucky aviation enthusiasts are today.

When I was 15 I was fortunate to gain a flying scholarship through the Air Training Corps and had my commercial licence at 23, after having spent 3 years as a pilot in the RAAF.The course I was on was at Uranquinty, and we were the first to go through on Winjeels. Prior courses were on Wirraways. Anyhow, after applying for airlines,myself andMANY OTHERS were told we did not have enough flying time, and that most applicants in our age group had senior commercial licences.So many of us spent time in PNG getting many thousands of hours and flying in unbelievable conditions and returned to Sydney .At 26 years of age we were told that although we had the experience, there was a glut of pilots younger than us with plenty of experience....in fact at 26 we werer too old for airlines!!

I guess it was fortunate for PNG aviation as all we could do was return there and send applications to as many prospective employers as possible. I was fortunate enough to be hired by AIRFAST/Helicopter Utilities and lew through PNG and northern Queensland. Also had the good fortune to fly Helio Courier aircraft all over the place, having the dubious honour of being the first person to prang one. As a result. Air America(CIA) OFFERED ME A JOB FLYING hELIOS FOR THEM,but I said thanks, but no thanks.Boy oh boy though there are many tales to be told of flying in PNG and flying Helio aircraft.

Hi Robbo,Yes your friend is fortunate.If he leaves the RAAF he will lucky in the fact there is now a shortage of aircrew, but knowing the RAAF, he still wont have a lot of hours, and this is important., as far as airlines are concerned.

Greg