S.E Queensland RA-Aus Schools.

Guest WillMikoyan

Guest WillMikoyan

Hi all.

After an extended sabbatical, I remembered I was a member of this site, and so here I am with a question.

I moved six months ago from Melbourne, to the Gold Coast. Since then I haven't been able to re-start my flight training, at first due to money, and now due to a lack of pilots. This meaning that no flying school are willing to sign me on 150CPL Part-time. The only people who can are those completing it full-time. And forget about PPL.

So now, I am considering RA-Aus, it's cheaper, and the hours count to my CASA GA licence. Most importantly, it means I will be in the air.

So, after such a long winded explanation, my question is this: Where are the best RA-Aus schools in South East Queensland. I am on the Gold Coast, so I'm looking mostly in this area if I can, Boonah and the likes.

Are there any suggestions?

Cheers, Will.

Guest WillMikoyan

Are they any good?

Looks like they have an Allegro, Czech made I think, well they look nice anyhow.

• 1 month later...
Guest bejay107

I am a newbee (as the yanks say) but I have recently started my training for a rec certificate with Australian Pacific Aviation. The man to speak to is the CFI - Nick Sigley. He operates out of Heck Field (near Jacobs Well) and is a great instructor and person. I am having a great time and it is the only RA-Aus training area within cooee of the Gold Coast. You can Contact Nick by going to the website http://www.flyapa.com.au. You can also visit the Gold Coast Sports Flying Club - http://www.gcsfc.org.au/ to learn more about Heck Field. Tell Nick that "Bill" recommended the service, it wont get you a discount but he will know he has been recommended by one of his students :)

Guest bejay107

Hi Robbo

Thank you for the welcome.

I am new as stated and I am having a ball learning to fly. That ignores the heart fluttering moments and my terrible landings so far. The only good landing I made was the first one - and I think that was an accident. :D

hi beejay. welcome to the site.

I noticed that you haven't read your welcome PM yet. It will give you a quick run down on what we have to offer

• 11 months later...

Hi WillMikoyan/Robbo/Bejay et al, I'd be interested to see what comes out of this topic, being in a similar position - Gold Coast based and keen to start training toward an RA licence.

Please forgive the hijack, but Bejay what are you training on?

Regards

Carl

edit: Whoops - just seen the date on the previous posts - anyone got anything more to add?

Guest Michael Coates

Problem with Nick Sigley is he is never there and misses appointments all the time... There are several others so please pm me for details

• 3 months later...

I thought is was about time to give some feedback on the subject. Many thanks to Michael Coates for the info and leads on training schools. Even though I didn't ultimately follow his suggestion, it was a worthwhile exercise, calling around to the various schools.

I ended up driving out to Boonah and meeting Greg Neale from Airsport, followed by booking a lesson the following weekend. Despite being told that he was very busy, so far I've been able to get a booking every time I've wanted one. With 4 instructors, 3 Tecnams, a Savage Cub and a Drifter they have a fair capacity and I've enjoyed the spread of experience and backgrounds of the instructors; from long time ultralight pilot to ex GA commercial and even airline. Equally important to me is the pleasant atmosphere; I did a PPL many years ago and remember resenting the attitude that the only worthwhile purpose of flying was to continue training toward a CPL etc, otherwise you were just wasting everyone's time.

It is a bit of a trudge across the range to Boonah, but I sometimes make a day of it, booking more than one lesson and hanging around in between, which has lead to more than one interesting non instructional flight, particularly during the week when it is quieter.

• 4 months later...

Well that's a good start...

I tried calling Nick from Australian Pacific Aviation on all 3 numbers listed on his sparse website and couldn't get through to anyone at all.

Michael, Do you know of any others around the Brisbane area or are all of them listed in the raa.asn.au website?

Guest Michael Coates

Hello there, I am sorry it is proving to be so difficult to get an instructor on the Gold Coast but this seems to be the same old common story I get every time people contact this instructor.

The only other suggestion is to try scenic rim aviation at Boonah or to try Pat Murray on 5502 9747.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance. Many thanks Michael

Thanks Michael,

I'm based in Brisbane but it looks like I cannot find an RAAus school anywhere close by. Might just have to go the GA route instead.

Seems the hardest part of learning to fly is finding a flight school!

• 1 year later...

Update on this topic; I was recently told about an RA-Aus school operating out of Archerfield, by an otherwise reliable source. I couldn't let that go without checking for myself and detoured to Archer after work, earlier this week. Anyhow lo and behold I found a brand new RA registered Jab 170 sitting on the apron and a new flight school in the main terminal building (http://pathfinderaviation.com.au/)

One thing lead to another, as it does with me and aeroplanes, and I ended up renewing my acquaintance with the Jab, taking a flight out over the bay:biggrin:. I understand that solo flight from this airfield will require a class 2 medical but I am intending to regain my long dormant PPL, so it is no additional hassle for me - and a big plus being able to fly from close to work.