Smithy, The Sniffer Dog

Guest Glenn

A man had just settled into his seat next to the window on the airplane when another man sits down in the aisle seat and puts his black Labrador in the middle seat next to the man.

The first man looks quizzically at the dog and asks why the dog is allowed on the plane?

The second man explains that he is a Drug Enforcement Agency officer and the dog is a "sniffer dog". "His name is Smithy and he's the best there is. I'll show you once we get airborne when I put him to work."

The plane takes, and once it has leveled out, the agent says: "Watch this." He tells Smithy to "search".

Smithy jumps down, walks along the aisle and finally sits very purposefully next to a woman for several seconds.

Smith then returns to his seat and puts one paw on the agent's arm.

The agent says, "Good boy", and he turn to the man next to him and says, "That woman is in possession of marijuana, so I'm making a note of her seat number and the authorities will apprehend her at the airport when we land."

"Say, that pretty neat," said the first man.

Once again the agent sends Smith to search the aisle. The Labrador sniffs about, sits down beside a man for a few seconds, then returns to his seat and, this time, he places TWO paws on the agent's arm.

The agent says, "That man is carrying cocaine, so again, I'm making note of his seat number for the police."

"I like it!" says the other man.

The agent tells Smithy to "search again".

Smithy walks up and own the aisle for a little while, sits down for a moment and then comes racing back to the agent, jumps into the middle seat and proceeds to sh*t all over the seat.

The first man is really stunned by this behavior and can't figure how or why a well-trained dog would behave like this, so he asks the agent, "What's going on?"

The agent nervously replies, "He just found a bomb!"