Experimental Category

skeptic36

Hi all,

I am wondering what the key criteria are to be able to register an RAAus aircraft as experimental. I have tried to find relevant regulations about it on the RAAus web site and I think I did find the relevant parts but couldn't get much out of it. Today an instructor told me if I try I will end up running over the hill screaming:eek:.

My interest is in modifying a microlight (trike) and still being able to carry a pax.

Regards Bill

Guest Michael Coates

Well if it's a 24 or 32 registered trike and you make it experimental it then gets 19 rego and can't be used for training or hire. Don't try it now because there is no tech man and you won't be flying for months

Bill when I had the Gazelle & was looking at putting a Bolly 3 blade prop on it initially, RAAus Tech Manager advised me that it involved simply requesting the AC be put into Experimental Category & that the registration number wouldn't even be changed from 24-XXXX, it would stay the same. Just had to put EXPERIMENTAL stickers on it & be subject to the restrictions imposed upon 19-XXXX aircraft. Incidentally I finished up getting an approval for the Bolly without going down the experimental path in the end.

You can only ask the question. Good luck with it.

Bill when I had the Gazelle & was looking at putting a Bolly 3 blade prop on it initially, RAAus Tech Manager advised me that it involved simply requesting the AC be put into Experimental Category & that the registration number wouldn't even be changed from 24-XXXX, it would stay the same. Just had to put EXPERIMENTAL stickers on it & be subject to the restrictions imposed upon 19-XXXX aircraft. Incidentally I finished up getting an approval for the Bolly without going down the experimental path in the end.You can only ask the question. Good luck with it.

Hi Dexter,

Thanks for the reply.

You can be sure I have been asking the question.

I started at the HGFA 2 weeks ago have yet to get a response other than to say they haven't forgotten :( . I then asked the RAAus 3 questions they replied same day but only answered one of the three :(. I also asked an RAAus instructor but he wasn't sure if you could put a weightshift aircraft into experimental :confused:.

Michael,

Thanks for your info.

What is the process for registering, does the tech manager have to view the mods or is it just paperwork?

If you can design and build your own aircraft and register it experimental I don't think it should matter if it is 2 or 3 axis, what do you think?

Regards Bill

You can build anything under experimental, be it RAA or GA rego!

It can be made from brown paper bags and string if you want. (seriously)