Question?????

Guest morgan000

Guest morgan000

Help!!! Question?????

Hey guys and gals,

i have a problem which i have been trying to figure out for about a week and i basically dont get it. its regarding BAK with the GA planes.

its in regards to the take off and landing chart for a piper. in the BAK theory book, when it states the degrees slope, you go to the reference line and mark a line towards the degrees, so say 2 degrees up, so its straight forward. however when i do the Van Dyson-Holland GFPT practice exam questions, its completely different. in the question it says says 1 degree down to the east which would seem easy enough, but when i have a look at the answer after my attempt, it draws the line as 1 degree up and of course my answer is wrong. I dont understand where i am going wrong. If anyone out there has the Van Dyson-Holland pactice GFPT exam and has gone through it, or anyone who can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

I hope my question makes sense!

Guest pelorus32

G'day Morgan,

I don't have that practice exam...however just check the question: You say that the strip is 1 degree down to the east. Are you taking off to the east or the west? If to the west then the slope is 1 degree up.

Hope this isn't too simplistic an answer.

Regards

Mike

They can make it tricky, check take off direction, it will be in the shortest direction which sometimes will be up due to headwinds. If that is not it; don't be surprise if it is a mistake.

The other common mistake is to get your directions 180 out over confusion between the wind from the given direction, and the runway in to the direction.

Good luck

BTW When a friend of mine did his recently, he was the first to do that exam, and more than half of the exam questions were faulty, but he still passed.

Guest morgan000

After reading ur reply this morning pelorus32, I had a crack at it again because u gave me a clue with direction and yes, i didnt read the whole question as i should have. the wind direction was supplied and so on so i had to take off into the wind which explains the opposite degrees for the slope. all is good now. thanks for your replies Bigglesworth and Mazda.

thats one problem out of the way, now i have to figure out the loading tables which is a bit confusing, if i get stuck, dont be surprised to see another post relating to help lol.