TOSG Bulletin

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

The latest Bulletin (#46) was produced this past weekend and is at the printers right now. Subscribers should have it early to mid next week depending where you live.

My apologies for the delay - I have had a grim personal life these past few months.

You should like this one. 27 pages and around 25 photos/tables/diagrams and a big diversity of subject matter. Enjoy!

Aye

Tony

I as well look eagerly to the bulletin. Cheers [spoke to a another Tony in Leeton who seems to know a bit about Thrusters as well.He said he had modified the wing angle of incidence so as to make the a/c behave better on landing and something about the wing washout couldn't quite understand what he had done.He said his Thrusters would cruise at 80-85knts]

Guest TOSGcentral

That is Tony Tiffin and he really does know Thrusters.

He picked my brains quite thoroughly over the angle of incididence situation, plus a number of other developmental issues. He has a lot of very sound ideas and is very skilled at rebuilding and modifying Thrusters. For example he built the Flying Fox and the Flash.

What he was talking about that you did not quite get your mind around is the consequence of lowering the wing leading edge. This affects the geometry of the lift struts that in turn have to be altered in length or you affect the wash out or wash in of the wing.

I have given no data on this yet as it is impossible to give accurate information until I have done the job and measured up that part of the job - but it will be part of the conversion package.

Tony (as you said) went ahead and did the conversion himself but I have not had chance to get a flight test report off him.

Tony's Thrusters can certainly be fast - the Flying Fox was clocked at an average 84 knots over two level runs at an air display - but that aircraft had been very extensively modified.

That is a bit too fast for my tastes and I am aiming the Swift (with a R582) at a 16 ltr/hr consumption at 70 knots (rough air speed) and Vne remaining at the design 80 knots with Vd at 90 knots.

A word of warning if I may. This may be all interesting stuff - and there is a lot of interest in it - but! Do not just rush out and do this by yourselves or you will wind up with an illegal machine!

To do this I have worked in with RAA and Chris Kiehn and received permission for the development work and test flying on T300 25-0381 and RAA to be kept firmly in the loop. In conjunction with that I am using CAR35 engineers (Daffyd and Bob Llewelyn of Southdown Engineering) for design structural integrity and a top line GA aviation welding outfit.

The whole process is complicated to co-ordinate and expensive to do. But is entirely legal and what comes out of it will be able to be used effectively, legally and safely.

The Swift itself is, at the present stage of planning, coming out heavy so I will probably have to go the full mile and get her certified for 450 kg MTOW which is quite a string of modifications - that I have a list of from UK where this has been done already.

Aye

Tony