Cross, windy landing!

Ben Longden

We had a comp the other day, and my good mate Mike (we wont say his nickname is Pelorus32, okay. Just keep that quiet) was in the spot landing section.

The wind was a bi&ch, and gusting to 20kt at times, and as the target was halfway down the Shepp strip, it made things interesting at the best of times. for all of us.

Anyway, I was there to record the event for the aero club, and when I got home I decided on a little digital trickery.... :devil:

Ben

Guest pelorus32

Great video Ben,

and very relevant given the recent discussion here about sideslipping.

Despite what that video looks like there was virtually no sideload on that wheel - we just sort of pirouetted on the wheel as I touched down. More than the xwind, the issue was that there was massive lift all the way around the circuit and particularly on base and final. The only way to get down was to crank it into a sideslip and hold it there.

Not as extreme as it looks ;-)

Regards

Mike

Guest disperse

Thanks Mike and Ben, as a new pilot it helps a lot to see what can be done safely.

ie: If I got into a side slip like that, I would most likely be doing my best to straighten it up. Where as NOW I know it can be done safely even though it looks extreme.

Now just to clarify . I won't be rushing out trying this as a everyday thing. but I won't be crapping myself should it happen.

I like to know where the limits are. Not say I can play with them, but so I know how far I am AWAY from them.

Guest pelorus32

G'day Troy,

I think this one comes with a definite safety warning: Don't try this at home!

Some aircraft cannot do this safely - they blanket the tail plane and it stalls with disastrous consequences.

In any event even when the a/c can do this you shouldn't without significant practice with an instructor.

In this case I had a safety pilot on board and we were monitoring what was going on very carefully - thanks Oskar. Not everyday stuff by any means.

Regards

Mike