L2 Maintenance Authority - what's involved?

Guest mudjeep

Guest mudjeep

Hi folks,

One of the things that appeals to me about building my own aircraft is that I'll know it inside out and can, hopefully, more competently deal with maintenance issues. But as someone who likes to know how things work and likes to do things for themself I would also like to have the ability to carry out more intensive maintenance, including field repairs and overhauling my own engines. I've had an interest in mechanics since my days of driving M113 armoured personnel carriers, and these days do the servicing on my own vehicles, as far as my limited skills will take me. But I have no formal training and so the prospect of getting training as a L2 in the RA-Aus appeals to me.

So what's involved? Who does the training, how, where and when? Do you then do an "apprenticeship" with an established L2?

Cheers,

Jason

I was just going thru the TAFE courses for 2007 and came upon this course.

Recreational Aircraft Maintenance

course no 26197

Duration 64hrs

Pre Rec nil

Cost $1280.

On completion this course will provide the neccesary basic skills and knowledge to carry out maintenance and repair to the standard and level allowed under casa 188/05 this course will enable the student to aqqurire the knowledge to be issued with a RAAus Level 2

TAFE Padstow

hope this helps mudjeep

Ozzie

Hi Jason.

Re: L2 application.

Check the RA-Aus website and locate the L2 application forms. Print them and start reading. The forms are into details about schooling and education including skills, various. Any form of "formal" training is also looked into.

When the questionaire is completed you will need two current L2's that have known you for a minimum of two yrs. to complete the application forms and submit it to the RA-Aus.

If there is an A/C service establishment near you visit them and offer to assist in any way you can and get some exposure to A/C their systems and/or repair.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Steve.

Guest mudjeep

Thanks guys, thats great. I'll look for the local L2s and start getting some experience once I get settled back east.

Cheers!

Jason

Guest TOSGcentral

Why do you feel you need an L2 rating?

Once you gain a pilot certificated this automatically makes you an L1. With that you can service, maintain, repair and rebuild your own aircraft and engine with no training requirement at all!

Whether that is wise or not is another matter!

All an L2 rating actually means is two things: You can inspect, service and repair a flying school aircraft, and you can conduct UACR inspections of aircraft that are changing hands.

I applaud however your interest in obtaining knowledge - there should be more of it - but you do not have to get an L2 rating unless you actually want one.

Tony

Guest mudjeep

Hi Tony,

My main motivation is personal knowledge and the ability to one day overhaul my own engine when it needs it, but I also wouldn't mind being able to offer that service to others. Not everyone wants to do their own servicing, even 100 hourlies, but I would enjoy it, especially if I was doing it regularly and thus keeping my skills up.

Cheers,

Jason