Pilot friendly life insurance?

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

I am shopping for life insurance and most of the online quotes tell you you need to get on the phone to them if you answer yes to wether you do any flying.

Before I start phoning around, I would be pleased to hear other people's experiences and which companies they find to be pilot friendly.

By friendly I mean that will insure you at all and don't shaft you on the premium because you like to spend a couple of hours a month in a little airplane. (as opposed to those who spend 8 hours every day driving for work, whom they will happily insure, no questions asked. Sigh.)

Thanks for any tips!

It's a good point to check. An old (theory) instructor of mine took some flight students on a US flying safari. An insurance policy was taken out. On the first day they crashed into wires holding a tower and were all killed. The two front pilots were thrown out so it was not known which was the pilot flying at the time. (Plus one was an instructor, so it could not be determined if the other pilot would have been PIC or under instruction).

They put in an insurance claim and found that while the policy DID cover aviation related accidents, it did NOT cover the pilot. As they were both thrown clear, I understand there were problems with the two families trying to sort out who was flying and who would get the insurance.