Help re: QANTAS memorabilia - how to get the best price?

Guest crescentgirl

Guest crescentgirl

Hello Aviation enthusiasts,

I am doing some reaserch on behalf of a friend of mine. They have in their possession the first 'QANTAS' passenger airline ticket, issued for 2/11/1922. Made out to an Alexander Kennedy for the first flight between Charleville and Cloncurry. It has been framed and is in immaculate condition. My friend is interested in finding out the monetary value of such memorabilia, where to go and what to do with it etc, if they decide to sell/auction this item. Any input from members here would be greatly appreciated :!: :D

Crescentgirl

Hi crescentgirl

First welcome to TAA.

Qantas actually have the genuine first ticket in their posession. There are many fakes on the market claiming to be the genuine article but that is not the case.

This from the Qantas web site

Regular scheduled airmail and passenger services began on 2 November 1922, from Charleville to Cloncurry in rural Queensland. The journey of 923 kilometres took two days with an overnight stop at Longreach. Passenger ticket No. 1 was issued to 84 year old Alexander Kennedy, a pioneer of western Queensland.

Other sources

The first passenger to travel by Qantas was the 85 year old Alexander Kennedy, who had first crossed the country by bullock wagon 53 years earlier. He held Qantas ticket number 1, dated 22nd November, 1922, the pilot being Hudson Fysh and the Engineer W. A. Baird. The journey was from Longreach to Cloncurry.

I've seen them on eBay for very little money.

Hope that helps

Guest crescentgirl

Hi, thanks for your reply Glenn, yes I found out this information too by emailing QANTAS direct, their reply was "The original Qantas passenger ticket is held under security at the Queensland Historical Society in Brisbane. What your friend has is more than likely one of thousands of replicas that were produced in 1970 to mark the 50th anniversary of the airline." So that came from the horses mouth so to speak!!

Thanks again.

Crescentgirl :D