Qantas Incidents

Robbo

Not sure if this is the right forum...

I thought I would start a topic on these recent Qantas incidents, as you notice I have posted two new incidents that have happened, one a Brisbane flight and the other a low fuel incident.

I feel the media is trying to make a "non news worthy" story be worthy for there coverage, Since the 400 incident in Manilla all the media seem to want to do is find problems with Qantas.

You have to compare Qantas with the other airlines of the world, I feel Qantas is the safest and one with the safest incident history.

The recent 767 incident was so minor and the passengers would not know the problem until the pilot advised them, The plane could have easily flown to Melbourne on reduced speed. Yet the media has made it to sound like it was another serious incident.

anyway please join in on this discussion

Guest Chainsaw

Interesting topic.

Except for the cracked windscreens a couple of years back, I cannot remember hearing about any problems with Virgin Blue planes. Not much for Jetstar either.

I really don't believe that QF is that bad. There has to be a reason why QF is getting so much attention over the past couple of years by the media.

Qantas is just flavour of the month. It seems to go in a cycle, like look at when JetStar was having a minor mechanical problem with the A330's and it would be a two page speel about stranded passengers and such. Virgin have been the same, scrutinised for any minor problem when they have a minor incident. Qantas is flavour of the month again, and one thing the media does not seem to realise is that aircraft are machines. They will break down and the will have problems, they will never run perfectly no matter how well they are maintained. And this kind of stuff happens worldwide!

Guest g_i_jack029

was the 767 a precautionary landing or did the pilot declare?

if it was a Pan-Pan, folks it aint the end of the world. i totally agree with Todd! qantas has just been in the spot light for a big scary hole (i do agree that inflight ***mis-hap*** was serious), so now they want to pick on every single little thing.

"Is Qantas still the safest airline out there???"

well for god sake, has ANYONE been injured? Anyone been killed? was the aircraft sinking like a brick and smashed the landing gear in? did it catch fire? did the aircraft have to be scrapped? NO!!!

The media like showing photos and videos of the aircraft with engineers inspecting the aircraft and having a confused look on their face. Also a extra short video of a fire truck racing accross the tarmac (i'm not sure if it even had anything to do with the aircraft)

Qantas have ordered a 100+ of the new 787's however the first 13 are going to jetstar so that's the next 3-4 years of delivery's.

Qantas are operating older aircraft, and I feel that Qantas are focused more on there "baby" jetstar and not on the Qantas brand, Half of these recent problems are from operating older aircraft. Like a old car, when it gets old its goner have problems.

Qantas should not be spending so much on jetstar because the way there going Qantas will become a second class carrier. It brings back memorys of the Ansett times. Qantas need to focus more on upgrading the Qantas fleet and not on there baby jetstar.

Guest Flying Red Fox

Qantas is a very safe and friendly airline, i havent flown them but if i had the chance i would choose them anyday because i think they are a very good respected safe airline with a great fleet of reliable aircraft. :D

Newspapers are just interested in hype and make minor stories *sexed up* or another way of putting it, *making a mountain out of a mole hill* - it sells their papers better i suppose but they dont realise the damage they cause by doing this.

QANTAS RULES FOREVER! 8)

Guest g_i_jack029
*making a mountain out of a mole hill*

also known as media!more like making mount Everest out of and ant hill!!!!!

Guest g_i_jack029

hmmm, i don't really think that link needs to be posted in my opinion

i think this guy is p****d off, some crap about extortion or something

Guest OzChris
hmmm, i don't really think that link needs to be posted in my opinioni think this guy is p****d off, some *poop* about extortion or something

So Jack, are you saying if something is 'controversial' or if someone is "P***ed off" then it shouldnt be considered? or posted?

As I stated, it is a little 'crazy' but is definitely interesting. If you dont like it or agree thats ok too. I never said I agreed with it, just that it was interesting.

Guest g_i_jack029

ok you have a point Chris, i just think it's a little extreme for me. Everyone is allowed opinions....Thats just my opinion

lets not turn this into another topic that got locked. :roll:

So what are peoples thoughts on primary cause for all the recent inflight hiccups???

or is the media just putting QF in the spotlight for every minor thing? (lol, like that aircraft that made a so called "Emergency landing" because something wasn't right with the Air conditioning) the pilots didn't know it was the air con

i know Robbo thinks that they are focusing on JQ too much and its their ageing fleet that contributes

what are other peoples thoughts? ozchris? Chainy?

Guest OzChris

Having worked for QF for 6 years up until last year, I am happy to have some media spotlight on Qantas. They get away with a lot...and keep it internal. They have reduced their staff to make extra immediate profits that cant be sustainable over the long term which adds pressures to the daily running and dispatching of flights. Maintenance has been an issue for some time now...the media is all over it because this has been an on-going issue - yes QF may be the flavour of the month with the media, but if it wasnt for the media, maybe they (and other airlines) would 'get away with' more. There has been no major accident as yet, but if QF dont tidy up their act there just might be. You only need to speak with some of the engineers under the pressure to dispatch a/c...scary stuff sometimes!

Anyway - I am all for QF, but not at any cost. I believe they need to do a lot of hard work to get their fleet up to the standard that we are used to them being...High board bonus figures and salaries to strip an airline for immediate gains in profits sucks!

thats my 2cents worth...and I honestly hope that QF raise their game! The airline is an awesome airline - its a pity that some of the "brilliant ideas" from the top are not always so brilliant for the airline but more so for immediate unsustainable profits!

Guest FrequentFlyer39
hmmm, i don't really think that link needs to be posted in my opinioni think this guy is p****d off, some *poop* about extortion or something

I think if this 14 y/o could read big words that he would find the site very enlightning.

It shows with documents the covering up that Qantas do.

Look how they treated the USA guy in their price fixing. $62 million dollars of corruption.

Here is a link to show him in pictures [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLpJWLa5B4o]YouTube - Qantas 747 crash[/ame]

g i joe, read the reports and get your teacher to help you write a constructive reply.

One thing I will not tolerate here as seen on other sites is the way in which you replied to Jack's comments and the comment you made about him.

Keep this civil or this topic will be locked.

Guest FrequentFlyer39

At last some sense although the report on the extortion is interesting.

By the way I found out that the s/o was in the captains seat at the time of the explosion.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/Qantas%20second%20officer%20in%20mix%20up/2008/08/13/121050945.html

To me it says the page is not found. I am not going to be the one that has this topic closed but I am going to say one thing.

The media was not there, the airline would not release this information. I no this bloke personally that is why I am giving my opinion about him. I do not listen to the media, I listen to the facts and I am not going to go into what I know but I am saying one thing "do not believe every thing you hear or read"

agree Glenn..

The personnel attacks on other members will not be tolerated here and that is what I like about this website. Jack is a young kid with a great deal of aviation knowledge and he is learning everyday, everyone is entitled to there own opinions about aviation on this website.

I even took offense to the way Frequent Flyer attacked him. I am not going to go into this as it is not my website and its not my right.

I will say one thing, Jack mate keep up the good work and I hope to have you flying with me in the right hand seat in the future!

Guest OzChris

I think that there may be a slight communication wall between us here on forums compared to talking face to face...

From my point of view Jack is one of the biggest aviation freaks I know and thoroughly enjoy his posts and opinions. He may only be 14 but even I at 40 can learn from him...as I can all of the members here!

This is a healthy discussion - we just need to consider others feelings and opinions as well.

If I have contributed to upsetting or offending anyone, I sincerely apologies! If you need to let me know, please pm me and I will sort any thing I have posted out with you...

As for Jack - Keep on with the inspiration!! You are awesome!! =D> =D> =D>