When can I fly my plane?

Guest Marius Grobler

Guest Marius Grobler

Hi All

This question relates to when I can legally fly my own plane as an unlicensed pilot.

I bought a Jabi a few months back and then started flying training...currently flying solo without passenger endorsement.

While all that was going on I had the aircraft checked out and filled out all the forms (C of G etc.) and everything is okay!

Should I now be allowed to solo in my own plane or do I still have to use the school's?

Marius

Guest brentc

Is the Jabiru in question factory built or not?

If you are the builder, yes, you can use it.

If you are the owner, but not the builder, then no (because you are not permitted to train in a homebuilt aircraft as the non-builder, except for endorsements) It would depend on your instructors interpretation of 'endorsement' and where you are at with obtaining your certificate, so for a licence test or basic training no, but cross country endorsement, yes.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Marius.

The question remains is, if the A/C is build by the factory, and has not been altered in any way, then after inspection by a qualified inspector (read ops. and tech manuals.) the A/C can be used in a FTF legally. If the A/C has been build by the owner and received the blessings of the R.A.-Aus. Then the A/C can be used to teach the owner and immediate family only. If the instructor has sent you solo and you have gained your certificate, he can endorse you with passenger carrying endorsement after a min. 10 hrs as pic, a examination check flight to test your skills, pass that and Bob is your (Uncle ! Aunty)

Cheers.

Steve.

PS brentc.

You are partially right because a instructor can train and instruct in a homebuild A/C right up to a full certificate.

Guest Marius Grobler

Thank you gentlemen (and ladies?). Clear as mud!

[added] Thanks. It makes sense now!

Peace

Marius