Water Water Everywhere

timshel

I am having persistent trouble with water in both tanks. I have purchased and religiously use MR Funnel as I suspected my supply, I tried topping the tanks as I suspected condensation (I live in southern vic) but eventually have identified the problem as the Fuel Cap on the wings. Being recessed and flush (a good thing) it can store water from rain or washing in the recess for several days or even a week later (a bad thing) and when the hinge cam is opened the water in the cavity can drain down the centre pin into the tank below. ( a very bad thing) I have personally witnessed this happening. It takes me several days and multiple fuel drains to get every last drop out. Any other experiences or fixes out there?

Tim

Cessnas can do this as when the seal wears around the cap. our "cure" for this was eventually replace the caps and filler neck with a screw on type. But until that was done we just placed a small plastic bowl over the cap and taped it down or place a couple of layers or cling wrap over the cap.

hope this helps

ozzie

I really haven't got a fix for you Tim... but on the odd occasion I venture away from home base ,and will be leaving 'baby' out in the cold overnight, I just tape over the caps with wide masking tape if I know I've got to add fuel in the morning or dip the tanks.

The only time I've every had water in the Sierra tanks was at Bordertown. It had been a cold night and I foolishly removed the fuel caps to dip the tanks. I realized afterwards that I might have done the wrong thing..sure enough the next time I fuelled at home base ( I use MoGas and a Mr Funnel) and did a fuel sample (my Sierra has fuel drains, I had them put in and why they are fitted standard ex factory astounds me), there were traces of water from the cold morning in Bordertown.This is not rocket science, but its safe and it doesn't matter if you forget to remove it before flight. The tapes in the away from home kit.

I fly to Bairnsdale every so often as the other half and 'outlaws' are natives of the district. Like to meet other Tecnam owners to exchange stories and experiences.

Perhaps you could private message me you mobile?

p.s while were talkin about tank caps,if your tank caps are hard to remove I have a simple cure for the problem, it works and was shown to me by another Tecnam owner.

Cheers

Guest Cloudsuck
p.s while were talkin about tank caps,if your tank caps are hard to remove I have a simple cure for the problem, it works and was shown to me by another Tecnam owner.Cheers

Please fill me in, mine on my Sierra are a bitch.

Briefly, trim the nylon gasket between the top and bottom halves of the cap. I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me by someone more knowledgeable than I. He trimmed it for me. I think, from memory, the cap has to be in the closed position when you do this so the gasket is squashed out proud of the cap slightly. Trim the gasket very carefully with a sharp knife being careful not to nick the o-ring. It's only slightly proud so you wont need to trim much off, but it makes a difference.

Also, if the cap is really tight to close or tight going into the tank neck, you may need to adjust the 'squash' on the o-ring by loosening the nylok lock nut say 1/8th of a turn out and then turning the lower half of the cap out against the locknut and retightening. If you decide to adjust the cap, make sure the cap lever is in the closed position when you loosen the locknut, otherwise you risk damaging the lever. Closing the lever stops it turning.

So, it's either the o-ring or the nylon washer or both thats causing the problem.

I found the caps really annoying to remove but resisted the temptation to use screwdrivers and keys etc to lever them off....god only knows what happens in flight schools!!

However, a little at a time on the adjustment is the order of the day..

If you decide that the above advise makes sense, when you race off to the hangar to have a look, let me know if you agree and the outcome:thumb_up:

PM me if need be.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cloudsuck

Tecnaman,

All good now. I trimed the plastic and backed off the nut. Caps are way easier to remove now. Thanks for the tip.