From the beach to the snow

Guest airsick

Guest airsick

A few weeks back we decided to head out for a spin. The weather was good with blue skies stretching way over the horizon in all directions and the only problem being a few reports of some stiff winds about the place. The initial plan was to head out from Canberra and down to Barinsdale in Victoria just because we could. Along the way we made a quick stop at Merimbula and by this time the winds were getting very strong so the plan was abandoned and we decided to go skiing instead.

With an early start and plenty of fuel the world was our oyster, well not quite but we could go a bloody long way without stopping if we wanted to. We headed out from Canberra straight over to Batemans Bay and then dropped down and headed south following the coast. The day was perfect beach weather, albeit a little windy, and plenty of people were out fishing, surfing and sun baking on various sandy patches along the edge. As we got further south the wind began to get a bit choppy and while it didn't force our hand the flight was becoming more uncomfortable the further we got so we decided to make a right turn after stopping for a quick break in Merimbula and head inland a little.

Along the way we climbed a bit higher in search of smoother skies and we found them which made for a much more pleasant trip. The skies out this way were the same as every other direction and we could see from the coast to the snow. This prompted us to go in for a closer look and we decided to do what many adventurers had done before us and go for a sticky beak at Mount Kosciuszko. After watching a few people snow board, ski and fall down the slopes it was time to head home so a direct route from the snow to the capital was worked out and we were on our way.

This route took us pretty much directly over head Adaminaby but there was no action at the strip so we didn't drop in instead choosing to go straight home. A short while later we were vectored in for an approach on 30 before making for a slightly bumpy landing (it was the wind not me I swear) and taxiing in to tie down.

Note: This area is a designated remote area so if you decide to go there have a read of the ERSA first and make sure you have the right gear on board before heading out.

beach.jpg.36c686bd07d7958280e06857f48a6379.jpg

1961100922_clearskies.jpg.15b7cd83f6e5ed6ed9912dc14da3fbe8.jpg

idyllic.jpg.920e999389f2083fb0d916436f1f7103.jpg

koz.jpg.f3f94b8922713c7d689eacc811c80f5e.jpg

runway.jpg.f7e5e0fe0344f186c58fa6dc91b89ab2.jpg

1929388538_throughthelookingglass.jpg.ab16bf3fd9335b1dc9f134321db2b2e0.jpg

Not suggesting anything at all. You are only like 50 metres if that over the water.

I was making a gereral comment on how I try and fly. It's all good.

Actually my flight manual first page makes reference to the fact that the engine could fail at any time!

Guest Michael Coates
Actually my flight manual first page makes reference to the fact that the engine could fail at any time!

Gee they must be really worried !, it's on page 3 in the Rotax Book ! :devil: