Helicopter Operations (I need help with some questions)

Have been asked a couple of questions with regards Helicopter operations in a course but I cannot find an answer. Obviously there isn't a forum I could find that deals specfically with this but.

1/. What instruments do Helicopter Pilots rely on most?

I would have assumed that a Helicopter had the same instruments as a fixed wing. Is there anything else that a Helicopter has that Fixed Wings don't

2/. What instrument or instruments are most likely to provide the pilot with erroneous information during flight leading to Spatial disorientation?

3/. What are the critical phases of helicopter flight that are most likely to result in pilot or mechanical failure?

I someone has or knew of a good online document that discussed safety issues in Helicopter operations that would be great 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

G'day, this is a picture out of a Bell helicopter (army one) of the instrument panel, thought you might like to have look, and it might give you an idea of what they use.....

You would nearly have to imagine that they would use the VSI, ALT, A-H, and DG the most wouldn't you........Any way I will the experts answer that for you, just thought you might like to see the instruments.....:big_grin:

Cheers,

1209944088_DSC06567(Small).JPG.1253099189259300b6638f104ea69c96.JPG

3/. What are the critical phases of helicopter flight that are most likely to result in pilot or mechanical failure?

All of them!

Rotor RPM is very important and torque in a turbine model.

All of them!

Rotor RPM is very important and torque in a turbine model.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif thats what I thought

But then I read that maximum vibration occurs at the time of transition from hover to forward flight. I also read that most accidents occur close to the ground. Silly questions really I guess since the Helicopters dont spend much time anywhere else but close to the ground.

Ewen,

Instruments are all the same as of in fixed wing ( bar your RPM torque Gauge, Torque temp Gauge etc.)

There are so many factors that could cause a helicopter to have an accident, and as previously stated many occur close to the ground.

Such things can happen-

-Over pitching

-Stall or (Retreating blade stall) - The differencial in RPM from the advancing blade to the retreating blade.

-blade sailing

-Static Rollover

-Dynamic Rollover

-Mast Bump

-Recirulation

-Ground Resonance

-Loss of Tail rotor Effectiveness

-

and of course pilot error!!!

There are sooo many factors but they are the main causes of helicopter accidents.. I am guessing some of the above mentioned won't make too much sense to you, I am only a fresh starter to rotary but this is what I had to learn..

There is a Forum for helicopter pilots... bladeslapper.com.au, You should be able to find most of your info there..

Hope this helps... Let me know if you want me to explain some of those terms for you.

No worries, I am not sure if you'll find much info on that forum.. But let me know if you have any questions regarding anything.