Solid lifter conversion

quentas

Hi, Have any of you Jab drivers had any experience with converting hydraulic lifter engines back to solids to extend the life of the motor or have Jabiru fixed the problem with the latest cam change? I would be interested to know how many Jabs (hopefully most) make it to the 1000 hour top end OH.

Guest Curandero

Hi Geoff, my 2200 with hydraulic lifters used to be great when I first got it. Now after only90+ hours it has lost a little power. Have had the carby pulled down and put back checked plugs and all obvious things but ...so ... is this a lottery or should we be getting some updates from Jabiru about solid versus hydraulic?

Curandero

Have you had a leakdown test if you have noticed that your power is down?

If it's down on power and the carby is all ok, it can really only be valves, valve seats or rings. A leakdown test will identify these problems and really only takes an hour to do.

Guest Curandero

Thanks Brentc. This Wednesday 15th I will be taking the a/c to a Wayne Johns here in SA for an inspection and will post the findings after that.

Curandero

I'm not sure about downgrading, however I know you can't upgrade to Hydraulic lifters as this was mentioned in a Jaba Chat in the engine section some time ago.