Converting to RAA in a Tecnam P92 Echo

Guest tezza

Gday guys, after 200 odd hours in clapped out C152, C172 and warriors, I am starting my RAA conversion this Thursday in a Tecnam P92 Echo with Golden Plains Flying School at Lethbridge. I am sure you guys would have some tips for me on how to handle this bird. Have never flown anything without a yoke for starters, and the lack of toe and differential braking is going to test me.

Tezza

the lack of toe and differential braking is going to test me. Tezza

Tezza,

There is only one simple solution to this, you just need to grow another arm!!!!

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;)031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Good luck with it,

Cheers

Mick

Guest pelorus32

G'day Tezza,

the Tecnam is a great little aircraft to fly. The main things you will notice are its performance and its simplicity.

The challenge I think with these types of aircraft is handling gusty, conditions in the landing phase. They have so little mass that you need to manage them fairly actively.

You'll have fun - your old C172s and the like won't climb at 1000fpm!

Regards

Mike

Tezza, you will have a ball. I finished my RA training in that very plane and it is a delight to fly. Not only that, Lethbridge is a beautiful spot to train (when the wind stops) and Bruce is a great source of knowledge. :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: Toe brakes are only what you're used to. When they're not there you just use the hand brake and in the turns when taxiing just leave a little more space. As to the yoke, you won't miss it for one minute, the stick is so responsive. Just remember to trim the nose up a little on final to take the pressure off the stick.018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
......The main things you will notice are its performance and its simplicity.

The main things you will INITIALLY notice are its performance and its simplicity. Once you understand the cost of the aircraft, say vs a jabiru you'll doubt that you need to pay that much for less performance and more simplicicty....041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif041_helmet.gif.b33edb063c342f545e37fe5acb1c5db2.gif

<having pulled the tail of the pelorus tiger he retreated back to the jabiru forum, honour for the jabiru folk fully restored from Mikes previous visit:big_grin:>

Andy

LOL!!

You will love the Tecnam.. The biggest thing you would notice is the lack of what could be called "inertia delay".

In the 172 and 152 series, there is a slight delay of aircraft movement after a control input is made, simply due to the mass of the aircraft.. the inertia. With the tecnam (And Jab) the response is instant. You make a control movement, and the aircraft is moving instantly.

With the landings, do them as you do in the 152 - head for the three degree approach (350ft/min descent at 60kts in the Tecnam) and each landing will be a greaser. Do a helicopter approach as I was originally taught, at 700ft/min descent, and each landing is an "interesting experience"..

Ben

Well I had that first flight in the Tecnam P92 S Echo today and I am really impressed. Did 4 circuits, some steep turns and stalls. I just love the nose down attitude in cruise which gives you a great view for navigation. And the EFIS system is great with all the check lists etc, pretty handy for a forgetful old geeser like me. Had no trouble adjusting to a stick and the lack of toe brakes were not as big a deal as I thought it might be. Did 1.1 hrs and booked in again for the 15th for a bit more circuit work and emergency procedures. I think I am hooked already.

Thanks everyone for the input

Tezza

• 2 months later...