Pitot Tube

Guest striker

Guest striker

Would anyone know where I could buy a replacement pitot tube for my Thruster T500. I believe I had a standard setup with a short aluminium tube on the nose section. Thanks.......Phil

Guest Qwerty

A mate broke one off his Thruster not long ago. He made up a new one and while he wa at it, he made the tube such that it was simply pulled out/off to remove it so that it won't get broken by people smacking into it with their knees. simple effective cheap and better than the standard setup.

Guest striker

Thanks Qwerty. Mine had been repaired at one stage and the tube was fairly loose, unfortunately it fell off on a roughish strip. It had a copper tube within the aluminium tube which I presume would have to be of the correct diameter so as to give the correct IAS ( not sure about that)

Guest Qwerty

The pitot is a simple setup. just a hole fecing forwards. Get this, size doesn't matter, but it is important to "reach" beyond the influence of the pod. I don't know what that measurement is but if your new pitot is not shorter that the original (not the copper one that just broke) then you will be OK. My mate's was about 125 mm, guesstimate from memory. he used a 3/8 th inch Aluminimum tube and fitted it into a plastic fitting setup.

Guest striker

Thanks again Qwerty, thats a great help. With that advice I feel confident to make one up myself. Cheers........Phil

Hi Phil

I made mine from a small plumbing fitting,

I think it was called a mushroom fitting ,

It is shaped like a mushroom with an od threaded stem and with a hole through the inside of the stem and head , ideal for the air flow [ comes with a nut] so you can screw it up tight from inside the pod. and have the mushroom section outside and to the front of the pod.

before fitting to pod I inserted and soldered a length of copper tube on the end about 3" ,

over which I pushed a similar piece of tight fitting plastic tube also 3"

I then selected a 10" piece of aluminium tube which could be pushed over the plastic tube tightly and can be removed when you want., If you want it to be permanent use electrical, heat shrink wrap

the threaded section extended inside the pod is long enough to take the plastic tubing from your asi etc.

I dont know exactly what the oringal purpose of the mushroom plumbing fitting was for, perhaps hot water ?

anyway if you can locate one. maybe obsolete stock at your local plumbing supplies you will find it was made for the job.

good luck........................................ percy

Guest striker

Hi Percy

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good setup and I'm sure I've seen one of those mushroom type fittings you mentioned too. Great advice. Cheers.......Phil