Fuel contamination

Guest Sunshy

Guest Sunshy

Some time ago, I read about problems with fuel causing filters to block up, MEC's to seize etc. Has the problem been identified? If so, what caused it? And how much impact did this have on general aviation in Australia?

Guest Glenn

All I know is that there was a fuel contamination and it grounded quite a lot of planes. Hopefully someone can fill in the details more.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ultralights

if my memory serves me, the fuel contamination issue was with fuel being supplied being contaminated, it was contaminated at the refinery, and the contaminate caused rapid corrosion of Brass that came into contact with it, and as internal components of fuel pumps and pressure guages were brass, they quickly desintergrated clogging fuel filters. not to mention damage to injector nozzels and other parts of the fuel system..

• 1 year later...
Guest davo

I think I remember a few details:

The contaminant was ethylene di-amene (EDA). It was introduced into the fuel supply apparently due to a change in fuel production methods by Mobil at their Altona plant back in 2000.

EDA interacted with the metallic components within aircraft engine and fuel systems during which it changed form and a black soot-like residue was deposited. It was later established that this residue was water soluble and after much testing a de-tanking and washing regime was developed to allow aircraft fuel systems to be cleaned and returned to service.

It grounded over 5000 GA aircraft for many weeks whilst the root-cause was found and the problem resolved.

Davo