John Duigan Centenary - 17th July at Yarrawonga Aerodrome YYWG

Guest davidh10

Guest davidh10

If you haven't seen the event advertised elsewhere, now you know about it. All are welcome to attend. There is no entry fee. This is styled as an open day for the general public, not just for aviators.

The day is a celebration of John Duigan and his achievement in being the first person to design, build and fly an aircraft in Australia. John used to live in Yarrawonga. For more details see the links to the event detail and the John Duigan story below.

John Duigan Centenary Event Details

The John Duigan Story

The day is shaping up to be really great with RAAF aerobatics, parachutists, Warbirds (both static displays and adventure flights) and more..

If you are planning to fly in, be aware that there will be a temporary restricted area declared and activated during the aerobatics. Check NOTAMs.

For any further information, please contact the organisers.

I'll be taking photos on the day.

Guest davidh10
I'm sure you mean the 17th July ?Cheers

Thanks Greg. I'm chronologically challenged:loopy:

I've fixed it in the post title and PM'd Ian to plead for an edit to the thread title.

Guest davidh10
David,Do you happen to know if John Duigan (Jnr - John's nephew and Reg's son) is coming over from Flinders Is for the event?

Regards,

Mark D

I think so, but you should check with the organisers. I am not fully acquainted with all the details.

I just posted this as a service to members and guests of the Recreational Flying web site :) and also to spread the word.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidh10

The weather is looking good. Everything is Set...

It will be a really great day.

Everyone welcome to attend (fly in or drive in). This is a public event.

The NOTAM is now published for YYWG indicating Aerobatic and Warbird aircraft operating during the day.

Roulettes aerobatic display is scheduled for about midday.

See you there

Guest davidh10

Sky Clear: No Fog: Light Breeze - Perfect Day for the Centenary Celebration

Looking at the weather and also out the window, here in Yarrawonga, Victoria this morning, it promises to be a perfect day for the activities.

Oh well. Got to get off the computer and out to the aerodrome:keen:keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gifkeen.gif.7777ed0d05dcd20861d93166f822038e.gif

Was a great day. It is always beaut to see activity at our aerodromes - well done to all who helped make it happen.

John Duigan (Junior) wasn't there unfortunately. I saw him on Friday night's ABC news and it was clear they did not realise they had a direct link to John senior. John junior is his nephew (not great nephew) and an intrepid aviator in his own right.

Mark D

Guest davidh10

Win News Report on John Duigan Dat at appox 18:50 EST Tonight

There will be a Win Television report on the Yarrawonga event tonight.

Guest davidh10

Mark;

Sorry I missed you. I was wandering around with a high vis vest and a camera, taking photos of the day's activities. I tried on several occasions to get a photo of your Savannah, but there were too many people around it on each occasion. I don't suppose that this one was yours?

It was a great day and David Crotty was there autographing copies of the book on John Duigan. He is the Engineering and Transport Curator at Museum Victoria. He was delighted that several local people brought him new information about John Duigan and a photo of his garage at Yarrawonga with the staff in front of it.

All in all, a great day. While not having tickets to count, we think there was about 8,000 people through the aerodrome during the day and lost of people who have spoken to me about it separately have said they really enjoyed it.

Apparently quite a few local people didn't know Yarrawonga had an aerodrome!