Advice? Piper Tomahawk or C172SP for GFPT completion?

Hi All,

I am getting back in to completing my licence after a few years of 'very limited' time in the air (less than 2 hours a year in total).

I have around 45 hours with approx 4 solo in mostly Jabirus, I only have a couple of hours dual in GA aircraft at this stage. As I am now looking at completing my PPl/CPL I have decided to go down the GA path, my theory is that either of these GA aircraft will be a bit easier to fly than the Jab so it should take less hours to pick it all back up. I also don't think it will be much more expensive than going with the RAA option first as I already have the required number hours, just have to get up to speed and cover off a couple of things.

I have the choice of a Piper Tomahawk at around $220 and hour dual or a fairly new Cessna 172SP for $290 an hour dual. I am not sure which option to go with. Obviously, the Tommy is cheaper, however I am not sure whether this will end up being the case overall. I'm thinking that the Cessna will be able to do a couple more circuits in an hour as well?

Seeing as though getting my GFPT is just a matter of getting fully back up to speed and getting a couple more hours solo time I am wondering which aircraft I'd be best to go with.

I'm guessing that the Tommy won't be overly suitable for doing my NAV's in either?

I would really appreciate any advice you might have for me.

Cheers,

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dick Gower

Your ratio of dual to solo is very high Ckaine. Something unusual there.

If you are considering converting to GA at this stage because you have had trouble with Jabs, it might be a good idea to also consider another RA type?

You would get more value from the Hatchet than the 172 at your stage but don't look back at the tail when you are spinning!

Good luck!