Garmin iQue 3600a

Guest Harry H

Guest Harry H

Hi everyone, I have been reading with interest about the various PDA's people are using for navigation. I have a Garmin iQue3600a which I have been (learning to) using for the last 18 months, and am keen to hear from anyone that also has one to compare notes, it can be awful lonely being the only one with one, the only person to ask questions is yourself.

"HELP"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Harry H

Hi Peter,

thank goodness I am not alone. I originally intended buying a Garmin 296 but they (Pacific Aviation at Bankstown) talked me into getting the iQue3600a although they admitted afterwards that they didn't know much about them and have since ceased to stock them. I had already purchased the Sentient AirNav program with the intent of using it in conjunction with my GPS but have since found out that the iQue won't "talk" to the computer because it uses a different format.

Don't get me wrong, I can enter routes on the 3600 OK, and as for all the other functions, I am totally lost without it, it "lives" with me and I don't go anywhere without it! Is there any other method of connecting the unit to the computer apart from the "hotsync" method that you know of? My "computer Guru" down the road has a Navman and regularly downloads "Red light cameras" onto his road map database and it can be done with Garmin's too somehow but not our units as far as I can tell. Also one of the guy"s in our syndicate has worked out how to download ERSA onto a Palm ( let's see anyone else do that with their GPS) but to do it, the unit has to be connected and "on" to send it across.

This just the tip of the iceberg, I have many other questions, but we can talk about them at a later date,

Harry

G'day Harry.

Are you using Garmin's FlightBook?

Do you have Garmins Mapsource installed on your computer?

These two programs are essential to get the most from your 3600a. I use my 3600a for every flight even if I'm only doing circuits. It gives me an electronic record of everything that occurs and I can review any flight from the past. I haven't worried about using it in tha car as I don't live in a city. I'm more than happy to asnswer any questions you may have.

regards

PS I beleive the 3600a has everything that the 296 has - only in portrait not landscape (same high resolution)

PPSS Have you conacted Sentient Software about the problem of not talking to the 3600a?

I think the only other way to get info onto the unit is to write directly to the SD Card if you are using one. This would only work for "data" used by a resident program on the 3600a.

Guest Harry H

Yes Peter, I have talked to Paul Boxer from Sentient and he is the one that told me about it not "talking" to our units, and yes, Flight book is a handy tool eh? Yes I have Garmin's Map source and I have City Navigator Version 6, but how can you use it for VFR Navigation? I also updated the aviation mapping on the GPS from Garmin a week ago. You are probably right about sending things directly to the SD card, but for the life of me I don't know where my reader/writer has gone, I spent 4 hrs tonight looking for it! I used to use it with my camera, but I think "that Chinese bugger" took it. Do you know how to use V.Nav? It looks like it could come in handy but I havn't been able to work it out yet, and the other feature I would like to work out is the E6B feature to find wind direction and speed aloft. I guess they left a few things out when I was learning RAA VFR :), is there anywhere (eg. Garmin) that teaches GPS nav? I did find a site called cockpit gps by John Bell ( www.cockpitgps.com ) that is a very informative read, but sometimes it is a bit heavy for me, have a look and tell me what you think? Enough for tonight, thanks for the suggestions,

Harry

G'day Harry - I must update my unit from the Garmin website too. I'm somewhat reluctant as for all we know there might not be any changes to Aussie info. I certainly don't do it monthly - twice a year is probably the go.

I haven't played with the VNav - but I do know you have to be flying a route or a goto for it to work.

I been to John Bells site b4 and found it very informative, but as you say heavy going. I will revisit.

regards

• 7 months later...

iQue 3600a & Windows Vista

Hi all

Am shortly starting my navigation exercising (provided the bloody wind settles long enough for me to get my GFPT) and am looking at buying an iQue 3600a. Only thing that concerns me at this point is their website says only works with operating systems up to Windows XP.

Has anyone tried to use this with Vista yet?

• 2 months later...

HI BigPete, could I pick your brains for a minute?

Am working on my solo hours at present before GFPT and would love to log my hours via the iQue / flightbook. I can record the flights easily with the iQue but cannot get them to sync with flightbook no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Alan

G'day Alan,

Can I assume that you have installed the synchronization software to allow the "Palm" side of the 3600a to talk with Outlook and other PC programs.

Once this is set up there should be no problems as the GPS side of things uses this "conduit" to pass data to the Mapsource and Flightbook programs.

I hope this is of some help to you.

regards

Yes, that is all there and seems to be working. The frustrating thing is it seems to import tracks into Mapsource ok, but not into flightbook. i can see my flight tracks there on the mapsource data (overlaid on ground maps), but Flightbook just wont even find the device.

Did you ever have this problem?

Alan

OK at least we know its not a hardware issue - I've never had a problem with FlightBook.

You must download the latest version (2.5.1 to work with Vista) from the Garmin site http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=35

Make sure you remove the old version and then install the new.

Let me know how you go.

regards

• 6 months later...

Hi, a bit late a response, but I have a Garmin iQue M5 - all on the road for thousands of km overseas also, but not yet used for aviation. Just in case there are questions or suggestions. Ignore if too late. Regards.