Started on GA, now converting to RA, help please?

Hi,

Ive completed 25 hours of GA in a cessna 152, and ive decided that it would be much more economical and practical to get a RA license instead.

I was wondering if the 25 hours ive done GA can count towards, or cut out some of the hours of RA?

Thanks very much.

Hi Willba - short answer is yes it does count, have a look at the Ra-Aus website, link on the homepage of this site, there is info there on converting from GA to RA. As I understand it, it is up to your RA instructor to assess whether you are competent to be issued with an RA certificate. Bear in mind there is a 5 hour minimum conversion for a current licenced GA pilot so it will take a few hours, but you certainly won't have to start from scratch.

Enjoy!

Hey Willba,

Welcome to the light side of flight! I did the same about six months ago (when I had 12 hours GA) and I have to admit it has been far more fun and just as challenging to learn. Just be sure to check out the limitations of RA though. Even so, you can always resume the PPL path when you have gained more experience via RA. Having said that, I doubt that you'll want to leave the lighter side, hehe!

Thanks very much for your helpful replies, really looking forward to finishing off something, ppl was taking to long and too much money that i just dont have, i also saw that once i finished it the flying would cost to much anyway. Now i think it will give me a fun pastime on the weekend.

Here's the way I see it and how the RA-Aus operations manual says you must do it.

You must have in excess of 20 hours flying experience of which 5 must be solo in any type of aeroplane/rotorcraft other than RA-Aus aircraft to be eligible for the 5 hour conversion.

You then have to do 5 hours of training in an RA-Aus aircraft of which 1 must be solo.

You must do the BAK, Air Legislation (although if you've done these through GA they are transferable), Radio and Human Factors exams.

You can then undergo an RA-Aus flight test.

I hope this was informative.

-Andrew

EDIT: All information from here: http://www.auf.asn.au/opsmanual/2-07.pdf

This is the rule in New Zealand, for comparison:

when the applicant for the issue

of an Advanced Pilot Certificate is the holder of a valid

Private Pilots Licence - Aeroplane, they will only be

required to:

(i) complete a microlight type conversion and a

minimum of two hours solo; and

(ii) demonstrate to a microlight instructor his/her general

knowledge and ability to perform competently such

normal and emergency flight manoeuvres as may be

considered necessary for the issue of an Advanced

Pilot Certificate; and

(iii) have their logbook endorsed for the rating

• 5 months later...
Guest davidh10
So what is the situation with GA training hours if you have not yet gone solo. Do you just lose those ?

As there is no minimum number of hours to go solo, it won't change the requirement to be competent to fly before the instructor will send you solo. You do, however have the benefit of some prior experience, which may shorten the learning time you as an individual require to achieve the required competence.

In terms of award of a Pilot Certificate, the hours in GA will count toward the 20 minimum hours required, however again the award has competency and testing requirements, as well as 5 hours solo.

You can deduce this for yourself from the RAA Operations Manual Section 2.07, which can be downloaded from the RAA web site.

Of course, you need to have completed the BAK, Air Legislation, Human Factors and most likely Radio endorsements as posted by Sseeker above.

I do and there is no renewal of a PPL all you need is GA BFR which now covers high performance RAA aircraft and a medical every two years , so really the cost of a medical and a little extra for the GA plane and then you can if suitably equiped fly in control airspace or hire / borrow a 4 seater when they chip in, no point flying a gas guzzler and high maintenance with empty seats. I owned a C172 for many years and I would spend more than half the time with only two people in it, but I admit you can through some luggage in with only two.