Where to start.

I am a high school student in Roseville, CA and I would like to get my fixed wing license. I'm wondering how to get started, like if there is classwork or bookwork sort of things that I could get started with. Anything helps, Thanks.

Hi Hogan and Welcome mate.I would go and talk to a few different flying schools in your area.Talk to a couple of students at each school , and ask them how they are going with training and get a general feel of the school.Talk to the instructors.They will give you advice on what subjects/books to study.

Hello Hogan,

I'd defiantly go speak to your local flight training facility.

I'm only 15, and have decided I wanted to get my RA-Aus Certificate after flying commercially and a lot of online research. One of the first things I did when the new flight training operators came to Wangaratta (after the previous one closed) was orgainsed a meeting with an Instructor (This wasn't really hard for me as there is only one organisation on Wangaratta that does flight training, Haha) she was very nice and went through a lot of my options, and being able to build a plan to my budget, time, ect. She suggest if my budget was tight I could fly 30mins a week or something. But I decided to keep looking for jobs, which I have finally acquired now, and have started to save (quite quickly may I say) so I'll be up there in no time. BUT Back to topic about bookwork and stuff,there is theory components and this lady instructor said I could start theory classes or even do some exams before I start actual flying lessons so what I did was purchased a Basic Aeronautical Knowledge Theory Book from them, and have been reading through little bits at a time. So that I will have some understanding. So you could start theory now, purchase and have a read of the BAK Book and even if you like start exams. But go have a talk to the local flight training organisation, and see what they have to say and offer.

Not sure if that helped, but hopefully it did, haha.

-Jack

Hi hogan,

If you like a bit of background reading I would recommend the tutorials on this site (tutorials link is also on the top menu of this page). I have only started training but I think knowing the "how and why" of flying has given me a big head start in the practical stuff. Bear in mind that some of these tutorials are aimed at Australian recreational pilots (similar to "Light Sport" in the USA) but should be valuable for any pilot.

There are other links on the above tutorials page including some from the USA. I also recommend the online book "See How it Flies". It's a big read, but I learned a lot from it.

Then go and do what Dazza said above. Don't rush, do your research and find which flying school is right for you. You will learn faster and perhaps save money too.

Above all....HAVE FUN and welcome to the Recreational Flying site!

Peter