Changing Wing Numbers on a Trike

JimandJo

Greetings all. Jim from Bunbury WA here. I have a trke and am in process of changing registration from HGFA to RAA which means I have to replace the wing regn numbers. Does anyone one know of a simply way of removing the existing wing numbers without damaging the wing.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Regards JIM 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Greetings all. Jim from Bunbury WA here. I have a trke and am in process of changing registration from HGFA to RAA which means I have to replace the wing regn numbers. Does anyone one know of a simply way of removing the existing wing numbers without damaging the wing.Any advice would be much appreciated. Regards JIM 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Jim

All the ones I've done were just stick-on vinyl numbers. You can get them off by just carefully piggling a corner up with a fingernail and then gently pulling the whole thing away in 1 piece. You might be left with a bit of a ghost of the old numbers on the fabric but there shouldn't be any damage.

You can use a seam on the wing as a guide to getting the new numbers aligned nicely & it helps if you don't pull all the backing off in one hit before putting it on the wing.

Hope that helps

John

hi J and J ...why change??....can you carry over the same numbers ???..

HGFA were allocated 2 blocks of numbers in the 32 sequence (2xxx and 6xxx) so any change of registration between organisations results in a change of numbers as well. They also prefix the rego with T2 (for 2-seaters) rather than 32

Cheers

John

Thanks to all for your responses. Decision to change from HGFA to RAA was a club decision. Too late to apply for 32-6160 as already have the new numbers and registration certificate. Wish I had thought of it though. Thanks Crezzi for the advice on how. I will give it a go and report back on the success or otherwise.

Just want to get it done and get back in the air - if this wind ever dies down. Regards to all my fellow aviators. JIM

I've also had good success in removing sticky transfers and such using a small steam cleaner with a small detail nozzel. just play the steam close to the edge of sticker and it softens the glue and then play the steam along the sticker as you peel it back. it should not harm the sail if you don't loiter and let it heat up. control the heat by not holding the nozzel a few centimeters off the surface.

Guest davidh10

Stitched Reg Numbers...

While most registration numbers are just peel and stick as described above, and applied after wing construction, I've seen one case where they were apparently affixed before wing manufacture, resulting in the numbers being attached also by the wing stitching.

If you are unlucky enough to be in this position, then the numbers have to be peeled back to the stitching and then cut away from each individual stitch with a scalpel or similar very sharp pointed knife, being very careful not to nick the stitching (ie cut away from each stitch). The one I saw took the owner several days to accomplish the removal during which he slipped and nicked several stitches. Fortunately the affected stitches were related to batten pockets and repairable. If you nick structural stitching, the remedy may not be so easy.

Hi David. Luckily my numbers are the peel and stick type. Ozzie's idea of using a small steam cleaner sounds good. I will give that a go and post the results once done - good or bad - hopefully good of course. Thanks again for your responses. JIM

HI David. Luckily I have the peel and stick numbers. Stitched ones sound a real pain. Sounds like good advice from Ozzie to use a small steamer and I think I will give that a go. Will report back on the success or otherwise but it will have to wait a week or so. Am off to Melbourne tomorrow for few days R & R. Thanks again to all.