Daft question that I can't get an answer on - BAK/GFPT... one in the same?

Guest adamneat

Guest adamneat

Hi All,

I'm not far away from doing my BAK exam, having done pre-solo and pre-training area solo successfully. I'm a bit confused by BAK vs GFPT.

My understanding - which I'm looking to get confirmed by someone - is that the BAK exam is the theory component and then the dual with the CFI is the GFPT practical exam... together, the BAK theory exame and the GFPT flight test, they are the GFPT.

Is this correct?

Guest adamneat

Darky - only reason I ask is that I'm not clear on whether there is (or was) a second set of exams I'm meant to be studying up for.

As it stands, I'm studying the BAK theory book and doing practice exams (which on the front of the practice exam book it says BAK and GFPT practice exams... hence the penny dropping that they were one in the same thing).

I'm meant to be sitting for my BAK in about 2 weeks and am not entirely sure what specifically is on the actual exam so am using the practice exams as the penultimate guide.

Darky - only reason I ask is that I'm not clear on whether there is (or was) a second set of exams I'm meant to be studying up for.

As far as I know, the only theory part of the GFPT test is maybe a Q&A thing beforehand, but check with someone who's done the GFPT to be certain.

I'm meant to be sitting for my BAK in about 2 weeks and am not entirely sure what specifically is on the actual exam so am using the practice exams as the penultimate guide.

The practice exams are a pretty good guide I reckon. Practice lots of weight & balance/loading systems questions and density altitude/pressure height - basically the calculation ones :)

Hey mate,

The Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK) is the paper theory exam. Depending on your school, but usually around 50 Q's

The GFPT test (as Darks said) is basically Oral, he asks you questions, you give answers. You'll do W/B and Performance charts. If you get a good examiner he'll ask questions in real life scenarios, which I find good, as you figure out what he's on about. Once he's happy with all that, you'll then go do the practical.

Basically he'll only ask what you probably already know by doing BAK, Airlaw etc...

You'll strike some similar BAK questions again in your PPL Final theory exam - so you need to keep up with that subject right through. As well, in the PPL flight test, you can, and will, be asked to perform many of the sequences that you did for the GFPT flight test....particularly engine failures, stalling, precautionaries, short field ops. Unless you intend to take a break between GFPT and PPLf - there's really not much sense in doing GFPT....just go thru your navs and do PPLf.

happy days,