GA training on hold - PNG here I come.

Tomo

" Lots of Deodorant".

I have recently found a good use for the deodorant my son uses. I have a tin shed and in a high corner a family of ringtail possums established a nest. I tried to make lots of threatening noises and use brooms to move them, but to no avail.

Remembering how awful and unnatural the afformentioned deodorent smelt, I sprayed the nest with it . The ringtails have NEVER been back. (over a year now) This stuff has great potential, but I could imagine that the people of PNG might find it much more offensive than I did. There are LOTS of smells in PNG. Try it "au naturelle". Nev

Sun protection is really important in the 'cloudy' Highlands because there's less screenout of the UV. Even your hands get burnt - take working gloves as you don't need infected cuts. Take a real hat - caps are poor protection.

Re the insects: take a sting relieving spray, (Stingose?), as it's just so easy to scratch any bites - which allows infection an easy entry.

Someone mentioned what's called '**** grass' earlier - this is what you'll have to wear. I chose never to wear it - too cold in the highlands. (author taken on patrol in 1962).

[ATTACH]12556.vB[/ATTACH]

1898125797_PNGPreparingforpatrolatSimbai1962.jpg.0177bb6e95b3cfd2d6222c8ce7777012.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

And no I won't forget Alley, though a party frock....... maybe just some dress pants will do 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Poteroo, the style has its merit, but I'm gonna stay covered up this time, so I don't get eaten by mozzies and stuff! :big_grin: keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Sounds like a blast Tomo....almost as good as ferrying a free Savvy. Have a great time and watch your grass ****.

Since you'll be away, please pass on my Xmas Greetings to all your family down there in Cecil.

catch you when you return...........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

PS: better watch out for unexploded bombs if your diggin around airfields there I suppose !

Thanks for the photos Jostin, looks interesting!

Maj that would be quite shock... finding a bomb that hadn't exploded yet. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks for all the kind words, we'll be roughing it, but for a worth while cause.