Secondary Airfield for Canberra

denmit

As canvassed in these forums recently, Access Economics is conducting further investigations for the ACT Government into the viability of, and demand for, a second airfield in the Canberra region. As part of this study they are conducting a survey of pilots, aircraft owners and other interested parties both in the region and of those who may wish to fly here. A copy of the survey is attached to this post and we urge you to take the time to fill it in.

The Canberra Region Aviators Association (CRAA) has made significant progress over the past year with respect to a new airfield and have gained the support of the ACT Government along the way. At this stage it is imperative that CRAA members, as well as others outside of our organisation, take part in this survey. A high response rate will demonstrate to the Government that we, as aviators, are keen to secure a positive future for aviation in the region. Furthermore, a new airfield will also provide access to Canberra for those outside the region who currently do not have controlled airspace privileges.

The survey is short and should only take a moment of your time to fill in. It can be returned to Access Economics by email, fax or conventional mail as per the instructions on the survey itself. The outcomes of this survey could prove the tipping point for our project and provide the impetus for further progress from the Government. We ask that you participate to show your support and also circulate this to others that may be interested (be they aviators, students, aircraft owners or enthusiasts).

Please, respond to the survey and circulate it widely. This is one of the few opportunities that we get to show the Government the level of demand for sport aviation facilities. Moreover, this is one of the rarer moments that an Australian government has actually taken an active interest in our activities. Let’s return the favour and be active ourselves.

Dennis Mitchell

Treasurer

CRAA

Williamsdale Airfield Survey.pdf

Guest JRMobile

One small thing!

This is one of the few opportunities that we get to show the Government the level of demand for sport aviation facilities. Moreover, this is one of the rarer moments that an Australian government has actually taken an active interest in our activities. Let’s return the favour and be active ourselves.Dennis Mitchell

Treasurer

CRAA

Well said Dennis, I have just submitted mine via email.

Cheers John

Guest burbles1

I've just posted my form. This is a really important project. Even if you're not a member, please make sure you fill in and send off the form. One day, you might appreciate having a Canberra stopover.

Guest basscheffers

I will go through the effort of printing it, filling out with pen and then faxing the form.

But doesn't Access Economics and the CRAA realise it is 2010 and we now have a little thing know as the web, which is perfect for doing surveys. Even CASA has embraced it.

At the very least, this should have been a PDF Form where you can type in responses.

You will no doubt get a much greater response if you make it easier.

Guest burbles1

The CRAA has limited financial resources, and I presume this is the quickest and most cost-effective way to get responses. It would not be prudent to spend several thousand dollars to have an IT person design an online form and set up a database in a short time just for something that is a small and transient part of the overall project.

Guest basscheffers
The CRAA has limited financial resources, and I presume this is the quickest and most cost-effective way to get responses.

You presume wrong. :)

A quick Google on "create survey" reveals page upon page of free survey tools.

Doing it that way is probably quicker than a form like this and it certainly makes it easier to get statistics; the way it is currently being doing requires someone (paid by Access Economics?) to manually enter it all in a database or spreadsheet!

The web way would certainly have been cheaper and easier for everyone involved.

Guest basscheffers

Another thing thing: Is this the only site under consideration? My problem is that it is nowhere near Canberra. The planned $10 landing fee plus a cab ride will be more expensive than the higher landing fee but taxi fare at Canberra for those of us able to use CTA.

So while it is great for local flyers who can drive themselves down to the airport and get in their plane, the value it adds to pilots visiting Canberra is poor in my opinion.

I know that creating a place for local pilots is the main reason for wanting the airport, but just sayin'... If there is a way to find a site closer, that would be better for me. :)

I also wonder about the need for a landing fee for visitors. Very, very few airfields like the one proposed have these. And the ones that do are often given a miss.

The ACT allows visitors to drive its thousands of kilometres of sealed roads for free. It allows them to get out of their vehicles at rest areas and use the toilets, playgrounds, benches barbecues and waste bins for free.

But for the use of a 1000 metre lawn by people likely to taxi up to the bowser and buy fuel, a $10 fee must be charged?

Madness...

(I will email this to Access also)