Crack in Exhaust of XT 912

I have ordered the carbie syncing kit from airborne and plan to check the carbies before I fly again. Attached are the photos of the damage done to the exhaust lugs by the spring on the underside of the exhaust. This spring is the most difficult to check properly in preflight. Now that I know exactly what to look for, I don't think I will miss [ATTACH]12740.vB[/ATTACH]that sort of wear again. Airborne are pretty sure that the damage done is from out of sync carbies. I'll find out pretty soon if that is true.

Bluey[ATTACH]12739.vB[/ATTACH]

IMGP4101.thumb.jpg.6f218439d04897a7f173ad8498a462a1.jpg

IMGP4102.thumb.jpg.8b9079722c56027a77163cc43a53dae0.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Pud, From what I know about Thrusters, sitting on the ground the wheels should be straight up and down, if you know what I mean. If the tops of the tires are inward further than the bottoms I would guess that the landing gear legs have suffered a hard landing, and are bent outwards.

They are only attached to the alum cross-member by two large bolts each side, so make sure the bolts are in good shape, and do not overtighten them . You only need one of them to let go, to make life real interesting on landing !.

The 1" square chromemoly member inside the alum channel often rusts out, but is very important as this together with the alum channel carry all your wing strut loads.

Shouldn't be hard to get the landing gear legs reshaped as they are spring steel. You just need to find someone who knows what they are doing with spring steel. I would also check the alum cross-member for cracks if you haven't already done so, as a hard landing can also cause cracking in this piece..the 582 is a great engine, just do your run-in per the book while watching the temps, and it'll give you good service...........................Cheers ...Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Pud, From what I know about Thrusters, sitting on the ground the wheels should be straight up and down, if you know what I mean. If the tops of the tires are inward further than the bottoms I would guess that the landing gear legs have suffered a hard landing, and are bent outwards.They are only attached to the alum cross-member by two large bolts each side, so make sure the bolts are in good shape, and do not overtighten them . You only need one of them to let go, to make life real interesting on landing !.

The 1" square chromemoly member inside the alum channel often rusts out, but is very important as this together with the alum channel carry all your wing strut loads.

Shouldn't be hard to get the landing gear legs reshaped as they are spring steel. You just need to find someone who knows what they are doing with spring steel. I would also check the alum cross-member for cracks if you haven't already done so, as a hard landing can also cause cracking in this piece..the 582 is a great engine, just do your run-in per the book while watching the temps, and it'll give you good service...........................Cheers ...Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj, I appreciate your advice.

Pud