Sydney accident

Guest Teenie2

Guest Teenie2

Does anyone know about a a/c accident in the last week in the Sydney basin area, pilot and pax still in hospital (pax in coma)? Have a friend who knows the pax and wants to know what happened. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

It was apparently a Cirrus SR22 HYY. Chute deployment was attempted but was ineffective. I heard elsewhere that one of them had since died, but if not then, that's good news. It was supposedly just back from a rebuild after a CASA employee had a prop-strike. Don't know any more than that.

Really, I am pretty sure I saw him at Mudgee a few weeks ago.. Stopped to fuel up.. Seemed like a very nice guy.. How sad, hope everything is ok.

The aircraft was on-line, so it may not have been the crash pilot that you spotted. Supposedly someone from CASA hired the aircraft, bent the noseleg and prop struck, then the engine was rebuilt and nose fixed, etc, etc and on one of the very first flights since, there was an engine failure. Although there is no documented lowest safe for chute deployment, an estimate of 2,000ft is apparently required and they would have been lucky to have been at that height from witnesses.

I enjoy flying the SR22, however it is VERY expensive! I have a dozen or so hours in the 22 and it's quite easy to fly. It's a fairly smooth transition from Jabiru with no real quirks, just heavier in the controls and lots of gadgets on the dash that you don't really need for basic flight.