Yet another pilot to add to the mix???

Guest turnbase

Guest turnbase

After reading this website for a number of years I thought it was time to start contributing.

Am an avid flyer but back surgery has curtailed me in recent years.

Anyhow back to the digital darkroom.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Welcome TB. A crook back's a hell of a thing, isn't it? I reckon that we'd all be better off walking on 4 legs rather than 2. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

My sister's just buying a small farm down your way, so hopefully I'll be flying in in a couple of months time - I'll make sure that I ask for tips from you before I do!

Guest turnbase

Aero's after back surgery are a little complicated???

Yeah back surgery was somewhat of a surprise. The major problem was that as I was going for my PPL flight test some 6 months after the surgery I couldn't make a 2G or 60degree turn without slipping out after the second orbit. Later on I found out that I was trying to brace my back with my legs which put just enough weight on the rudder?

Now all things are much better so back to the skys,011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Turnbase,Like you I too have a few spinal prob's. 6 fractures distributed between spine,pelvis, sacrum and that tail end bit. All happened in MEAF in1961, ,diagnosed as 'slipped discs' (no,I'm not kidding)by the RAF Medic.He felt that it would be a waste of time and effort to get an xray pic'

4 years later I suddenly became paralised from the waist down whilst instructing. On arrival at RAF Hospital Wroughton they discovered the above mentioned damage. After another couple of years in and out of plaster etc they informed me that it was too dangerous to operate and goodbye and thanks.

I did manage to get a PPL over in Britain and enjoyed a few years of flying,prior to relocating to Australia in 1974. At the age of 82 I sometimes feel that my spine and other attachments thereof are even older but HEY, I'm still alive!!!!! Regards, and safe flying William (fireproof)