Now I know why I fly

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

After an absence of 4 weeks I finally willed myself to go up today at YWOL for some CCTs. Lack of cash keeps me from navs, so I settle on short practice sessions for the moment. Pretty blustery easterly, and the runway I wanted to use (08) was not to be used for touch n goes. Which meant it was all crosswind circuits. I've done a few of those, so I was fairly confident. Little did I know it'd be so challenging. First approach was high and too tight, so I go around. Next few gradually got better, but still variable winds and hard to line up with rudder and aileron. Having full flap didn't make the short finals too easy either. I figured I should use one stage of flaps for better control. So after 7 landings, I felt I gained a bit more experience and now am happy I managed to improve on barely controllable approaches. Flying's not all about going places - circuit work can give you a lot of satisfaction.

Guest davidh10

It is all good bubbles. As you say, it can get interesting, but you have to learn to handle all the conditions. I always had it in my mind that I would not just be a "fair weather" pilot and my CFI was always happy to fly in any conditions he felt were safe. As a result, I have grown in confidence as I gradually flew in poorer conditions.

I've had a couple of interesting landings in the last week with cross wind 14G20 combined with significant sink encountered late on final. Thought I may have to go around and needed quite a bit of power to counteract the sink, but it all came together, thanks to the training.

hey burbles,

the horrible thing about ywol is the restricted t&g's on 08...its almost always the runway of choice!!! the mechanical turbulance ya get from all the stuff there when circuiting on 34 can be horrendous!!! good onya for stikkin in there with it!!!

liz

Guest burbles1

Yes, it's an exciting downwind on 34 - you're heading straight into the top of a hill, then 10 seconds before impact you turn base and pick a few leaves off the trees as you skim past.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif