Cross Wind Landing 'Techniques'

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

If you have not seen this then you should!

The 'techniques' vary from magnificent efforts, to 'stuff the drift - get it on the ground' to 'stuff this I am going around'!

There is one monumental and awesome demonstration by a 747 captain on how to really get it right - and he only uses half the runway - the right hand half!

Many will raise a smile, others pure admiration - but spare a thought for the poor devils on those flight decks with a cabin full of passengers behind them!

http://www.wxpnews.com/6OJ9LR/070227-Windy-Landings

Tony

Guest pelorus32

There's some well known stuff in this video - it's a composite of a number of others. The Wellington NZ stuff that others referred to was pretty good. If you have ever landed at Wellington in tough weather you will share a fellow feeling with the poor fellows at the controls.

The ones with the Boeing company livery are from Boeing's xwind test centre - somewhere in Brazil as I understand it. They apparently do their certification xwind testing there. Continual cross winds - often 40 knots.

As for the Korean air 747 at Kai Tak...friends who have landed 744s at Kai Tak tell me that it was always pretty interesting. The turn onto final was at 200 feet and if there was a xwind...well there was a xwind. If you messed it up the go around often entailed up to 45 minutes of being vectored all over the show before finally getting back to have another try. The question is do you have a spare 45 minutes endurance?

Great stuff.

Regards

Mike

Guest Crash Lander
As for the Korean air 747 at Kai Tak...friends who have landed 744s at Kai Tak tell me that it was always pretty interesting. The turn onto final was at 200 feet and if there was a xwind...well there was a xwind. If you messed it up the go around often entailed up to 45 minutes of being vectored all over the show before finally getting back to have another try. The question is do you have a spare 45 minutes endurance?Great stuff.

Regards

Mike

You'd only go around once!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif