Whitsunday Airport Airshow and open day May 1st

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

The posters are out for the airshow and open day at the Whitsunday /Shute Harbour Airport on Sunday May 1st 2011. It will also celebrate 50 years of the airport being in existance there.

Listed as the main performers at this point are the RAAF Roulettes, Maxx-G aerobatics (Pitts special), and other local performers, including one who does a very nice demo of what a Viet Nam- era Iroqous helicopter. Air Whitsunday will be putting on a display in the hangar of radial engines, and a DHC-2 Beaver part way through restoration. Static display participation is welcomed, and already there are several local ULs that will be on show, as well as other types of aircraft.

The last airshow at this venue (new runway opening.) was huge, and also included the Roulettes.

For airport location look for Shute Harbour/Whitsunday in the ERSA.

The airport is private, so Prior permission to land is required to operate, and due to it's location certain operating requirements have to be observed also.

If you are thinking of flying in, you could call the airport manager Peta McMullen on 07 4946 9180 or check the website at WWW.whitsundayairport.com.au

If you PM me I can also send you a 'pilots' guide for flight operations' which includes many colour photos showing recommended approach paths to the airport, and good aerial shots of the airport itself. This can also be downloaded from the website above if you prefer.

Due to the location of Shute Harbour airport there is a minimum 100 hour PIC requirement to operate there.

My recommendation if you wish to fly in would be to arrive on Saturday before the show on Sunday, to secure a spot for your aircraft, as tiedown space will be at a minimum. You can then spend Saturday evening in the Beaver bar, and kick back Sunday and watch the show.

See you there !!....................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

That should be fine Ian , I will call you early this week, busy last week with a major phase check on one of the Caravans ....the paint job looks great !!...............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi Maj

Great airshow. Did not catch up, but will next time in Whitsunday. Caught up with Windor68 but you weren't around.

I flew in in the red drifter from mackay, what great weather and the flight home was great as well. It beat driving the Hilux up there and back. Ian's CavSav is a beauty.

I spent a bit of time with the Libelle glider that a mate had on display, the day went too fast.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Mike, Saw you and the Xair come in, and we were headed down that way to say Hi, but got caught up with something else. It'll be my turn to drop in on you guys in Mackay ok. Yes your right, the day did go too quick, but that's what happens when your having fun !. Your red Drifter looked real nice from a distance..............Maj