what to use as landing lights..

Guest simon bourke

Guest simon bourke

just tried to install a LED light on my edge classic, under the nose as a landing light, but it floods the vhf with static. does anyone know the problem, or have recomendations of particular units to use?

Guest davidh10

You may be able to reduce the static by using shielded wire and / or by soldering a 0.01uF disk ceramic capacitor across the terminals of the unit. I've also seen a LED strobe unit that caused a lot of RFI, but mine, while it can be heard if the mute is open, is low enough not to be a problem.

Often it is a matter of changing brand / model. In my house I tried LED replacements for lw voltage dichroic lamps. One blacked out VHF TV and the other brand creates significant interference on the FM radio spectrum, but does not affect the TV.

All high power LEDs operate on verh high frequency pulsed DC power, so the RFI protection built in and the frequency of operation are important. Technology is still evolving.

Failing that My CFI has a really good LED landing light on one of the 912s that is not causing that problem. If you want contact details, just PM me.

Guest davidh10
Landing Lights on RAA aircraft ????????????????Are we night flying boys?064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

David

PS Of course you could have wig wags for daytime use

No. The landing lights of which we speak would be inadequate to light a runway, but are simply to enhance the ability to be seen.

I and some others locally run a landing light above the front wheel as well as navigation lights and strobes on my wing tips. (All the local school aircraft are also equipped likewise and in addition have transponders.) It makes a great difference to the ability of others to see the aircraft, particularly under certain conditions, such as:-

• mist or smoke in the air.

• during civil twilight, particularly if there are clouds that cause the twilight to be dimmer or not equal across the sky.

• against some sky / cloud backgrounds that may mask the obvious appearance of the aircraft.

Wig wags are even more effective than a single constant landing light, but they really need to be wing mounted.. doesn't suit a trike. I have seen them once, on a twin as it approached on straight-in final. Very effective.

During Winter, I fly a lot after work, which means I'm often landing at last light. Aircraft without lights are very difficult if not impossible to see from a distance. For me it enhances my safety if other aircraft can see me easily.