Hi All

I am new to this site and came across it whilst trying to research local flying schools.

I am thinking of buying an RAA aircraft and then possibly doing some instructing in it.

I dont have an instructors rating as yet, but I would like to teach tailwheel, strip flying, low level etc.. on a casual basis during the quiet times of my 'day job'.

I guess by way of introduction I learnt to fly gliders then moved into GA, in NZ.

Moved to Australia when I was 18, completed my commercial and have been working as an Agricultural pilot for the last 10 years, spraying, spreading and firebombing. Have close to 6000hrs, 99 % of which, is tailwheel and low level.

*Are there students out there that would be interested in learning some of the things I have learnt?

*Would this be 'stepping on the toes' of the local RAA flying schools?

*Should I try to affiliate with said schools?

*I am 185cm tall and weigh close to 135kg. Will I even fit in RAA aircraft?

*I quite like the look of the Hornet Stol, anyone got a better suggestion?

*What is involved in obtaining RAA license when you hold a GA license?

*What does the instructor course involve and how much does it cost?

Any help would be appreciated with some or all of the above questions.

Cheers and happy flying everyone.:thumb_up:

G'day Mate, and Welcome along!

I guess it would depend a lot on the area you are looking at doing this in. I live on the Darling Downs (Qld) on farming land, and so am used to all the crop dusting aircraft etc... and I have a low level 'endorsement' for RAA aircraft. Personally I think every pilot should do a course in Low level flying - as it enhances your skill or knowledge basis a lot in my opinion. So I think if you got an instructors rating - which I can't see would be a huge problem for you. You would be the best person to teach this type of thing. Though I know of a couple that do that already whom I have done flying with, one guy having flown and trained pilots in DC3's and many other tail dragers in PNG years ago, as well as many years of ag flying in Aus... so there are people out there, but I must say they are fair and far between.

Taildrager that would handle your weight and height would be a Savage Cub or similar...(mate has the "Classic") One heck of a fun plane, and perfect for the type of things you are wanting to do I reckon.

For you to get an RAA certificate you just need to find an RAA school and go for a run with him and it's pretty much up to the CFI I think. Different if you want to go Low performance, you have to do 5hrs solo if that's the case I'm pretty sure. Someone more up on all the reg's will be able to help you there.

Hope that's a tad of help

Regards,

My cousin and I have been looking for a new ultralight to fly (ultralight being the North American term). My problem - my cousin is 193cm and 110 kgs (I am 185 cm and 80 kgs). Finding an appropriate plane has been a challenge since he also wants something fast (200km/hr cruise+). He and I have visiting planes to see how we fit. It is the only way since the published figures for cabin width (also important) and height do not always match reality. We have rejected many aircraft only because we can't fit, and not because we didn't like them.