Condobolin crop duster incident

While at work today (energy company) got a call of power lines down.. when field staff arrived found extensive damage to power lines, poles, cross arms. Witness reported seeing a crop duster hit power lines and fly off. Not sure if he knew he had hit them or not.

Still havent seen any news reports of this accident since it occurred at 12pm.

A very lucky pilot! Could of been so much worse.

Guest Maj Millard

Most ag planes are fitted with metal cable cutter bars, and/or protection cables which deflect any lines away from the tail of the aircraft if it contacts power lines.

It is possible this aircraft hit and broke the power lines, and just kept flying which is the best case scenero for the pilot in this case.

I'd be surprised if the pilot didn't notice, or if the aircraft didn't bare some marks of the contact.

Ive since talked to our staff who are back out making repairs (630am this morning) to 7 span of conductor ripped down. He has talked to pilot who noticed he had hit power lines, damaging a pump which is used for spraying of chemicals. He was due to land as had run out of chemicals so plane was light. Pilot was back up in the air 90 min later spraying after making repairs to pump.

I would assume he must report to ATSB since so much damage was made to our network, a large cost factor with 10 or more staff to make repairs, people without power etc.

Hope will have some photos of this incident in the coming days.

Guest Maj Millard

The spray pumps are usually on the belly between the main gear legs, depending on the type aircraft. The worst place to pick up a wire is on the landing gear legs as it generally flips the aircraft into the ground. If he has damaged the pump it sounds like thats where the wire strike was, and he is very lucky the wire broke, or was cut by the wire cutters running down the foward edges of the main landing gear legs. It doesn't always happen that way unfortunatly.....Can you get aircraft type and pilots name ?...one of our ex-Beaver pilots now sprays down that way and he was in a Fatman last I spoke to him.....................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

HI Maj, thanks for the information, never seen underneath the sprayers.. keen to see how it all works. You are right, lucky the wire broke , 1 km of conductor they are putting back up now. I will try and get name and type of aircraft he was flying for you.. Will PM the details . Dave

Guest Maj Millard

Don't know that rego at all..watch out he may send you a bill via workplace health and safety !.................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

HI Maj, thanks for the information, never seen underneath the sprayers.. keen to see how it all works. You are right, lucky the wire broke , 1 km of conductor they are putting back up now. I will try and get name and type of aircraft he was flying for you.. Will PM the details . Dave

Here's a couple of pics of the underside of an Airtractor (AT-402). As you can see there is a small 3 bladed wind turbine that drives the centrifugal pump. On this AT the turbine sticks out ahead of the undercarriage legs so you could see how it might get damaged in a wire strike. This particular aircraft also sported some nice power cable shaped indents on the leading edges of the wings. I seem to recall the undercarriage legs on a Turbo Thrush are a bit different from this.IMG_9839.JPG.4605bd5179442e376c9dc005b540f795.JPG

IMG_9824.JPG.9102c4f9505d508b58ae6fb5fcaa2b59.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics.. I am actually suprised nothing has appeared on ATSB website, thought it was required to be reported within 72 hours.. ? Especially since the aircraft did so much damage. ??

Anyone shed more light on this ?

Guest Maj Millard

I've done quite a bit of work on Airtractors. Sounds like this guy was pretty lucky, and I'm sure he won't forget the incident any time soon. All ag-planes carry quite a bit of power when spraying, so yes they do have the weight and capability to break through power lines and keep flying. A lot of them don't though, and this year and last, has been bad for wire strikes................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif