Jab 170

Can anyone who owns a 170 Jab or own a 2200 engine give me an honest apprasial of there plane or engine, I here so many stories mostly from people who dont own or fly them, so can some of you jab folk respond please.Pete

I have had no complaints with my J170, bought new 18 months ago. Only done 60 hours so it's still like new. I had imagined doing 200 hours a year! Anyway, it starts easy and runs just fine. The engine is simple and easy to work on and the plane IS PRETTY (Pete). The inside is not as nice looking as other planes but the Jab is definately value for money. I particularly like the fact I can fly for 8 or 9 hours before refuelling - not that I would be in the air that long, my hips would seize up and my bladder explode. Plus it can lift its own weight, so two 80 kilo blokes and full fuel is easy. What I don't like is the 'feel' of the control stick. Planes with cables or rods seem to be very smooth and precise whereas the Jab with its 'throttle cable' controls always seems 'sloppy' to me. Having said that, one gets used to it pretty quick. The plane with its big wing can float down the runway so getting into shorter strips (say < 500 metres) requires a little more precision. I used to fly Warriors and Tobagos but have grown to like the Jabs high wing. Better view of the ground when navigating and in the event you put down in a paddock, less chance of tearing your wing open on a star picket etc. (or taking off a kangaroos head). I have had comments from pilots that fly planes with Rotax engines that the Jabiru engine is unreliable, but I think they are remembering the early development days of the mid nineties.

Cheers and beers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...