New plane

Guest Baphomet

Guest Baphomet

I'm in the market for a new aircraft, and I'm giving very serious consideration to an amphibian. I'd like to hear any feedback (positive or negative) on any of the new crop of machines, i.e. Super Petrel, SeaMax, Colyaer Freedom, Searey etc. PM me if you'd prefer not to have you comments go public.

Cheers

Baphomet

Sadly, what I would have considered the obvious choice, the Super Petrel suffered an unexplained hull loss today. I've had a look at a few examples of the aircraft and have been very impressed at what I could see of the workmanship. Pricing too is attractive at around $115,000 for a basic VFR fitout. Obviously I'd be looking closely at the reasons for the crash and I suppose there could be issues with local support from hereon forward - damn a real shame!

The Seamax certainly looks the goods, but from the prices I've seen quoted, they are in a different market segment really. The Searey is well proven, but a little agricultural in comparison to the other two, not a criticism, merely an observation. I haven't checked out the numbers but per my uncalibrated mark one eyeball it cruises rather slower too.

Keep us posted, I am heading in a different direction for the present but something along these lines is very much on the radar for a little later on.

Hi Baphomet

Firstly you'd have to decide what sort of float/seaplane you like? As I operate/owned both I'll personally give my views:

Seaplane -

Advantages - Great feeling of speed on the water itself, low and fast; easier to land than a floatplane by a smidgeon; most have false floors thus don't worry about leaks :-)

Disadvantages - Carrying a lot of weight when not heading to the water, thus a trip to the centre isn't practical; you can't simply drop your draws (whilst on the water) and take a dip, because even if you could clamber back into the cockpit you'd be dragging heaps of either salt/fresh water back in as well which isn't really recommended

Floatplanes -

Advantages - Can have either straight or amphibious configuration, gives 2 planes for the price of one (most fixed wings can be converted) as removing floats takes me only 2 1/2 hours thus that trip to the centre is now realistic plus selling is definitely easier too; want to have a swim? Easy and sun baking a bonus! Easier to get out off the water in some conditions; float maintenance is way earier tha having the a/c submerged in water too;I recently saw a floatplane crash in Florida due engine failure after take-off and if it wasn't for those floats the pilot would have died, it's like a bullbar I guess.;

Disadvantages - If you simply don't like them

Now before those monohull guys start repling - :yuk: , it's simply my opinion "but if you were to give me a Catalina style plane and someone else maintains it, my arm could be twisted :thumb_up:

Regards

FP

I'm in the market for a new aircraft, and I'm giving very serious consideration to an amphibian. I'd like to hear any feedback (positive or negative) on any of the new crop of machines, i.e. Super Petrel, SeaMax, Colyaer Freedom, Searey etc. PM me if you'd prefer not to have you comments go public.Cheers

Baphomet