Hi

Hey David, welcome!

Don't worry, I had trouble coming to terms with this landing business. Having the ground coming up towards me at 130 km/h made me nervous, but I found decent videos on YouTube and watched late final to touchdown bit over and over until I was de-sensitised a bit. Worked for me! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest davidh10

Welcome, fellow David ;-)

Try to relax and focus your attention on the things your instructor has told you. Fill your mind with the things you need to do, and don't think about things that you must not do. Your instructor won't want you to crash with him / her in the aircraft, so put panic of any kind out of your mind. CASA has a very good educational film clip called "Look Out", on situational awareness. Amongst other things, it talks about why you shouldn't be thinking about what not to do.

I know it sounds strange, but it has to do with how the brain works and is very important. You should cover this sort of thing in your Human Factors training. Ask your instructor to be able to see it. It is very likely s/he will have it on DVD, or you can order it for yourself from CASA's web site. All their educational materials cost only the postage

Guest pookemon

Welcome David,

I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday was my second solo and it was blowing a bit of a gale with a lot of turbulence around the circuit (I thought it was alot - my instructor said "Yeah, there's a bit, it's not too bad" - thats what experience does). We were bouncing all over the place on my first circuit and I was feeling rather ordinary (read terrified). After 6 circuits my instructor asked me if I wanted to solo. If he'd asked on my first circuit I would have said no - but it was the practise that gave me the confidence to do it (and I think I survived... Yep, definitely survived). I vaguely remember my first "solo" in a car being the same way (OMG, OMG, OMG....).

Give it time - with every landing it gets that much easier (yesterday I had the revelation that my feet are starting to work the way they should). And Gnome's comment is spot on. It's when you can't control the panic that you need to worry. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Guest pookemon

I finished at about 4 ish then someone else took off for their flight test.

[Edit]: Actually I probably finished flying about 3 or so...

If it's any help, for me the Eureka moment was understanding that I wasn't actually trying to land but rather to fly a couple of feet off the runway as far as possible and to just gently hold it off as it tries to settle. Practice, practice, practice.

• Like 1