GYFTS for 2012?

Guest Jake.f

Guest Jake.f

Can anyone 'in the know' tell me if the GYFTS scheme will be running in 2012 or not?

I have been doing some researching and while I have no need for it now, next year I start uni and my financial situation will change drastically, and there is no way that me or my parents could managed to put me through uni AND still have the $$ for flying.

By the end of this year I will expect to be at the stage where I have just gone solo and my instructor agrees with this. I have worked out that I have enough holidays in my first year of uni to do an intensive block of lessons, as in 2 a week or so which would get me the hours I need to be able to do my flight test (Providing I am up to it of course) and hence my certificate, which would mean I may be able to attain my certificate by the end of next year which would allow me to hire to get my flying fix (Will gradually do XC I suppose). However without a GYFTS I don't see me being able to actually get my certificate until 3 years down the track if I take a year off between degrees, or 7 years if I don't.

So can anyone tell me if it is planned to exist next year?

Guest Jake.f

It would be nice to see it continue, it sounds like a great scheme and I would love the chance to benefit from it.

To the best of my knowledge it will continue, they will atleast have the funds to run the program.

In 2009, Airservices Australia generously awarded Recreational Aviation Australia's GYFTS program an annual grant of $25 000 to be distributed (for 2010, 2011 and 2012) to ten young flyers between the ages of 15 and 20. RA-Aus greatly appreciates Airservices Australia's support of this very important program.

Guest Jake.f

I must have not read that date when I was looking around. Seems I am in luck then, just have to make sure I find out when to apply!

Guest Jake.f

I will make sure I know when we can start applying then, I did look at the site but just wanted to confirm if it will run or not but it looks like it will. I'll just add this to the list of about 50 billion uni courses and other scholarships I'll be applying for next year *sigh*

Guest KingAir

I was lucky enough to receive $1000 from RA this year to help with my NAVS - they can be really handy when funds become somewhat restricted - best of luck :)

• 1 month later...
Guest JRMobile

Hi Don

I have been a fan of the Young Egales program, sponsed by EAA, for years.

This program acts as more of an introduction to flight. Many, many years ago someone offered me a free ride one weekend and I jumped at it - this is how I got the bug.

Here is a link to their web site for a bit of background.

http://www.youngeagles.org/

http://www.eaa242.org/YoungEagles/YEreg_form.pdf

Cheers John

Guest Jake.f
Should RA-Aus support a few young people to get into Recreational Aviation with substantial payments (GYFTS) or should we use these funds to attract the "Empty Nesters" at the other end of the age scale? I'm not arguing one or the other but interested to know what members think.It certainly gives a you good feeling to help a young person get started in aviation. But the question then comes up as to will they be able to continue in Recreational Aviation once the subsidy stops? Or, will they at the first opportunity leave Recreational Aviation and convert to GA and go on to have a career in aviation? Does that matter if they do?

If we were to target a lower level of subsidy per individual (perhaps just a TIF) but provide it to many more people "of a certain age" who will have the financial capacity to really get into Rec Aviation. People who could finish flying training at their own expense and go on to buy an aircraft, join a club, rent and/or buy a hangar or hangar space and consume maintenance services and then get their friends into Recreational Aviation as well.

Should funds be directed to Partners of Pilots so that as many as possible Rec Aviation aircraft have two pilots on board?

Again, these are questions not my preferred approach. What do you think?

If I manage to get one next year, Yes. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Don, I think

GYFTS is better used at the young end of the range. The investment will get years of life and spin off attractions whereas empty nesters should be in a position to scrape up the dosh themselves. The youth of this country are its future and an investment in youth is rarely wasted. (I am 60+).