Landing Strips in the Vicinity of Cape Otway

Hi All,

I'm trying to find details of possible places to land in the vicinity of Cape Otway (Vic)

My Vic Roads Country directory shows possible strips at Marengo (Apollo Bay) and Hordern Vale (near Aire River Estuary)

I went online to Air services and could find nothing... does anyone know of these strips?

Cheers,

Lee.

Guest brentc

Lee, there is one at Apollo Bay. It's council owned.

At the field there is an operator by the name of Mr. Victor Bongiorno, a really nice guy. He flies a STOL Cessna 206. I met him there when I drove through once and I've seen him a couple of times at Tooradin since.

It's about 2kms from the centre of town. I've been meaning to head there for a weekend in the near future with the better half but haven't got around to it yet.

From memory it's sometimes (depending on weather) a one-way strip and not overly long but I do know of people who have been there in 4 cylinder Jabs and from memory the Tdn Cirrus went there one day so it can't be all that bad.

Try:

http://www.greatoceanroad.com.au/Travel/capeotwayaviation/index.htm

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/database/displayattraction.asp?businessid=3290

Thanks Brent.

Yes, I had found those links and was going to give Victor a call.

It's the other strip I am really interested in... Angie has found a weekender she likes the look of and she says it would be ideal because we could all fly in... (how is that for an understanding partner!!)

Guest pelorus32

From memory of driving through there, I think that there's also a strip in the 12 Apostles area E of Peterborough. It is used by sightseeing operators.

M

Guest brentc

You might be thinking of the helicopter landing area that they do joyflights from. There is a wind sock and it looks like an airport, but unfortunately no runway :-( There may be another one though that I don't know of.

Best off getting that cross country rating started soon :-)

yes, i think yr right brent... a local has just confirmed that it's helos only... i'll take the D9 down and see if i can extend it a little :)

thats ok though... apollo bay is only 30 minutes away... if we get the place, i'll get an old station wagon and leave it there for when we fly in. we'll drive down saturday and check it out and i'll drop in and see victor as well and check out the field.

(perhaps i'm getting ahead of myself :;)4: )