A few firsts - for me anyway

fatmal

Last weekend there were a couple of firsts for me:

1) first flight in a Sportstar - I learnt in a Texan, now fly an Allegro. The Sportstar was much like the Texan, except almost impossible to stall - it just nods its nose a bit but seems to maintain altitude. I really liked the control feel of the Sportstar, with light inputs for small control movements, but firming up nicely (oh Vicar!) with larger control movements. Larger pitch changes with flap than the Texan, but much less than the Allegro! It does get warm though - just like the Texan. Overall, a great handling aircraft!

2) first flight in controlled airspace - I just moved from Melbourne to Perth for work, so flew with CloudDancer out of Jandakot. After learning in uncontrolled airspace the amount of radio work and traffic was, I'll admit, a bit overwhelming. It felt a bit like my early circuit work, with too many things to think about. I'm sure that after a while I would end up thinking 'What have I forgotten', because all of a sudden I would have all this time on my hands as it all became second nature!

This weekend I'm sitting right seat of a 172, again out of Jandakot, so I will try to get a handle on the radio work required. Wish me luck!

Mal.

Hi Mal

I Own a Cessna at Jandakot and head out into controlled airspace most of the time as Vic 65 is a lovely scenic to take passengers over. I found in the beginning it was easier to run through it all on the ground so you can know where to expect freq changes and clearance.

Are you still doing training? How often do you go flying... Im always looking for some flying buddies around perth.

Enjoy the flying mate, hope the weather hold up :)

AJ

Hi MalI Own a Cessna at Jandakot and head out into controlled airspace most of the time as Vic 65 is a lovely scenic to take passengers over. I found in the beginning it was easier to run through it all on the ground so you can know where to expect freq changes and clearance.

Are you still doing training? How often do you go flying... Im always looking for some flying buddies around perth.

Enjoy the flying mate, hope the weather hold up :)

AJ

Hi AJ,

Yes, still training. I have my RA Cert, but not my Navs - I was up to my solo nav (after interminable weather delays in Vic) before I moved out West for work. I'm still debating whether to finish my Navs here, or take a week off work to go back East and finishing my nav ticket there. Once I've finished that, I'll bring my Allegro over, assuming I can find hangar space but that seems to be difficult in Perth!

Flying over would be great consolidation of my training, and better than driving - something I always wanted to do, but once is enough!

I will probably convert to a PPL, which should give me more options regarding airspace (and hangarage!). It will mean having to get used to all that radio work though!

No doubt we'll bump into each other out at YPJT - not literally though I hope!

Mal,