Landing Strip North of Coffs Harbour

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi People

On the Coffs Harbour VTC there is a landing strip marked at S30,09min E153,09. The strip on Google earth at 100degrees roughly points directly at Emerald Beach, perhaps a km or 2 inland.

Its the closest strip to Coffs that is in G Airspace and I was wondering if anyone knows what the contact details for the owners are. I'd like to fly from Adelaide to Coffs over Easter and South Grafton to me seems too far away from Coffs.

Alternately there appears to be another slightly west at 30,08 153,01 again if anyone knows the contact details for the owner of this one at Nana Glen.

Neither of these are listed in the Country Strips series of books or online services, however I wonder if they are in the AOPA book? Anyone have one they can have a look at?

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

I can't help you with any details of these strips but can confirm that neither is listed in the AOPA directory. There is one at Nambucca however. Although about 25nm S (3040S 15259E) this may help. The AOPA lists the operator as John and Maureen Monckton on 0265688105.

Paul

Nambucca.jpg.6f153dac021538a1935d2e85c470d548.jpg

Guest pelorus32

Hi Andy,

I can't help either but if you are looking at the strip I'm looking at near Emerald Beach it looks like a pig of a strip. Trees at either end and close enough on either side to be casting shadows on the strip. If it's during the day you'll likely have your approach over those trees at the western end that come right up to the threshold.

It looks long enough but its not for the faint hearted.

As for the one at Nana Glen...if you mean the strip of grass on the corner of Grafton Street and Orara Way, I think from memory that that is turf.

There appears to be another strip above it near a house but it crosses a washed out waterway ;-(

Ring up the Nana Glen store and ask them if they know.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32

Andy,

another slightly lateral thought is that these guys are in Coffs Harbour and they make windsocks and markers and love flying...they may know about local airstrips.

www.fgmcoffs.com.au

Also you could try calling the tower at Coffs and see if they know.

Finally it may be worth trying John Gardon who used to be RAA president. He has a strip at Wardell - further north near Ballina but Coffs is in his "local" area and he may well know. You should get his contact from RAA or from an old Rec Flyer mag.

Regards

Mike

Guest pecram air

Stewarts Airstrip

The strip opposite Emerald Beach is Called Stewarts. It is a private (very) onw way strip. There is a couple of hangers with heavy tin in them. My mate owns a Bantam, lives at Coffs but finds the best place to fly from is South Grafton, plently of hangers, Aero Club and easy to find.

Phil C.

Guest Andys@coffs

Ok, thanks to everyone that responded. I knew that there was something to do with the name Stewart but a whitepages search didnt reveal anyone by that name in that location.

I guess I'll have to get my parents who live at Coffs and have done for 30+ years to chase down the contact details for me. I find it amazing that there isnt a strip somewhere near coffs.

There used to be one a little further south than emerald, it used to be a shared facility with the local radio control crowd before they moved further North to the Gun club. A guy used to fly a drifter style Aircraft from that strip, however around 84 or 85 there was a problem airborne. He had a balistic chute fitted, however it fired when he was inverted. results were castestrophic. It was a TIF with that guy that had my eyes forever skyward turned...as they say.

Personally cant wait until we can go into class D airspace, why take a marginal strip when there is a perfect Airport in the middle of the town!

Anyway, thanks again for looking in the AOPA book and for taking the time to answer my question.

regards

Andy