Training Ends, licence begins

Guest Timberwooky

Guest Timberwooky

Just completed my "basic training" towards the RA-Aus pilot certificate in Renmark, SA. I'm one of those joyful people in the Sydney metro that decided the time and cost there were "over the top", so I sought out and found a residential RA-Aus flying school in the bush for the right money. About to do the flight test, after total of 39.8 hours on the Jabiru (J170 and J230 types). I told my instructor, let's just do what it takes to get the licence. Well, it's been fun, scary, daunting, exhilerating and interesting, with a few "glazed-look" moments, and quite a few insightful discoveries on the way. The first solo was a combination of Wow! and "remember what you have learned" said over and over on finals. Finally, after quite a few excursions, I am getting the feel of "being up there" and getting used to saying all sorts of funny things in the vicinity of aerodromes. Soon I'll be saying I'm on short finals when coming home! So anyway, wish me luck, I've still got to do the flight test and the radio procedures are my sticking point. Hope to report "all is well" after the big test.

Excellent Timberwooky, I fly in the Renmark area at times also. It's nice..... big enough with grass, gravel and sealed strips but with little traffic. Actually I think I may have heard you doing circuits in the J230 about a week ago - have you trained with Tim?

TW, On the day of my practical, I went out by myself first and ran through a flight practicing most of the things that were going to be in the test (normal/steep turns, stalls, Emergencies, landings(flapped, half flapped, flappless, glide) etc). Then, after a break and a cuppa, The instructor asked if I was ready to do the test. My answer was "Yeah, either I'll pass or I'm going to identify things I need to practise". This took the pressure off me and let my instructor know that it wouldn't shatter me if I didn't perform to standard. My motto for flying has been I have the rest of my life to get it right.

SO good luck and take the pressure off yourself. yin_yang.gif.b21301c7d6fdb132767e9e2133966758.gif

Phil

Guest Timberwooky
Excellent Timberwooky, I fly in the Renmark area at times also. It's nice..... big enough with grass, gravel and sealed strips but with little traffic. Actually I think I may have heard you doing circuits in the J230 about a week ago - have you trained with Tim?

That would have been me. Tim passed me on the flight test today - although it wasn't the first one. We finally discovered the reason for my "mind blocks" was the pressure of a "flight test". Once I went for some solo circuits, came back, relaxed, things went much better. Tim is a great instructor, friendly, but professional, and Renmark is a great place to train - with minimal confliction with other aircraft - which I like.

Guest Timberwooky
Good on you, TW. Now you get to discover that when the licence begins, the training begins! Never stop learning (Now, where have I heard that before... 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif)

You're not wrong!

Guest Timberwooky
P.S. I did pass, in case you were wondering

So did I - about 12 hours ago!! It's a lot to take in - first solo, then a flight test - all within a week or so.

Guest Timberwooky

So guys - I passed the test. I'm a new 1 day old pilot. So tonight I found a great "online" sim which uses google earth as it's map. The graphics are A-Mazing! I flew from Renmark to Broken Hill (in an evektor sportstar) just to check out the terrain, and it is just incredible, like doing it in real life. Detail at 500 to 1000 feet is best and not great at ground level, but all the landmarks I'm used to at Renmark are there, and I can do circuits referencing the normal streets, rivers, buildings etc. Check it out (it's free, with an internet connection and you don't download it, just play it online):- http://www.ge-flightsimulator.com/

Great News TW, Well Done on the test. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gif

I'm only 1.1 hours in front of you and found that my first flight, licensed, and as PIC was a great, relaxed, fun flight exploring the bounds of my 25nm radius. Next is passenger endo and then into the X-country training. Thanks for the tip on the flight sim.

Guest Timberwooky
Great News TW, Well Done on the test. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gifI'm only 1.1 hours in front of you and found that my first flight, licensed, and as PIC was a great, relaxed, fun flight exploring the bounds of my 25nm radius. Next is passenger endo and then into the X-country training. Thanks for the tip on the flight sim.

Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to "following your lead", but still a bit nervous. Still getting over the first solo (last week). Oh, the joys of intensive training. But I just gotta keep on "getting up there". You are certainly on the right track. You can use the GE Flight Sim to practice cross country in the meantime!!! Keep in touch!!

• 6 years later...
Guest Timberwooky
Great News TW, Well Done on the test. :clap:foI'm only 1.1 hours in front of you and found that my first flight, licensed, and as PIC was a great, relaxed, fun flight exploring the bounds of my 25nm radius. Next is passenger endo and then into the X-country training. Thanks for the tip on the flight sim.

Hey there!! Long time since we started flying!! Did you get your passenger endorsement and are you still flying now? I went on to start a cost share group in Sydney because there was no light sport airfield close to home. We now have 183 members and fly all the time with all levels of license holders. I fly so often with others, I hardly use my RAA sport licence.