J230D

Guest zach1976

Guest zach1976

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the J230D that has just come up on the Jabiru website. I am interested in buying a 4 seat factory built Jabiru. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I am a bit worried about the limited uplift of only 260kgs for the J230C. Is there a factory built 4 seat Jabiru or any other aircraft that has a useful uplift? Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Guest brentc

As there is nothing on the website I can only assume that as it starts with a 2, then it's still a 2 seater, so some kind of modified version of the J230. You can't buy a certified factory built 4 seater from Jabiru, however they can 'assist' you in building an experimental model that can't be used for training.

If you are interested in looking at one or perhaps a couple, there is a J400 and a J430 at Tooradin. Closest to that is Colac and Barwon heads where there's a couple of others too.

PM me and I can take you for a ride if you wish.

• 1 month later...
Guest Andys@coffs
Does anyone still care what the J230D is? I have the answer :-)

I'm guessing its the Tug configured J230? finer pitched prop and tow package.

Andy

Ok Andy since you asked nicely :-) The D stands for Dark. They are bringing out a configuration that is certified for night flying. i.e. Radio with ILS all the required lighting including cabin and wing etc. Probably a few other things that I am not aware off. Interestingly there is talk that it will replace the 230C and be the standard in the future.

Guest brentc

I'm wondering where that will fit in the lineup of things. I thought LSA was limited to Day VFR only. To fly in the dark it would need to be GA registered and I thought LSA was limited as I said.

Perhaps for the overseas market?

Probably won't need an ILS for NVFR, just a certified radio and primary navaid such as a certified GPS. Should keep the price down a bit, unless the target is for the IFR market. Interesting times.

• 1 month later...

230C as an ultralight

Just to save starting a new thread.

What is the point of registering a 230C as an Ultralight. The MTOW as an ultralight is 544 kg and the empty weight is around 360 kg. After you put two 80 kg people in it, that leaves only enough weight for about 33 litres of fuel plus a toothbrush.

On the other hand, a 160 with empty weight around 300 kg with the same two people can carry 20 kg of baggage and nearly 90 litres of fuel and will still be a legal ultralight at 544 kg. The 170 is not quite as good from the fuel point of view if it is registered as an ultralight.

David

Guest brentc

You wouldn't register a J230c as 'ultralight' nowdays as you'd go for LSA to make use of the 600kg's. Homebuilt is a different story though as the LSA inspection may prove difficult so you may wish to register in the previous category. Also if you wanted to make a few changes that aren't factory approved you can't register LSA so better off with the old rego.

As for the J170, it is also LSA so you get the benefit of 600 kg's which will allow for larger occupants legally.

Guest brentc

Yep, certainly. LSA can be either GA or RA-Aus up to 600 kg's. Most of the guys here with their new J230c's are registered LSA with the 24- prefix. The LSA rego happens at the factory, so say Bundy for the Jabs and homebuilt LSA experimentals must have an LSA inspector visit. At present there aren't many around which makes things a bit tricky in some areas.

• 1 month later...

Gidday all. First time at this. The J230 D has the NVFR capabilities if that option is fitted but the main change was for leg and knee room with changes to the instrument panel after I assume were some complaints. I am putting together a small sindicate at the moment to possibly purchase a 230 or a 430, how do I contact pilots of the same aircraft to have a chat on these forums about there likes etc ?

Hi flie43

If you fancy a small flight to Narrandera this weekend there most likely will be 2 J230C's flying around somewhere. One belongs to a small syndicate which has being happily operating for just on 12 months and the other belongs to Wally Rudin, the local CFI. Wally's is roughly 4 months old and both have just over 200hours.

Nothing comes close for cost vs economy vs speed vs endurance vs capacity.

But then I am biased - I own one keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif If you would like to talk, need some info or indeed like to come and have a drive give me a pm....

Cheers

Roger