any one got a float endorsement from tooradin??

Guest holmsy2000

Guest holmsy2000

hey guys, i see a few pwople here have listed that they fly from tooraddin, has any one got a float endorsement from down there? I have just read on their website that they now ahve float planes and thought it might be a bit of fun.

any one know how much it will cost and whats included??

also what plane is it, i read it was a light wing but then in their pictures it apears to be an alegro or something, do they have 2?

Brett

Guest brentc

Hi Brett,

Nobody to date has got a float endorsement from Tooradin. The Allegro was running last year but there was a certification issue, so it was taken off floats. It may be back on them this year, but some things need to get sorted out first in the paperwork department.

Eugene the new CFI (ex RA President) has bought over his Lightwing from Tassie which originally came over for the Avalon RA- Aus display. It's now available for endorsements. It's yet to fly at Tooradin on the water as Eugene has been too busy instructing in Jabs to get in it. Problem is that you fly it for an hour, then it takes 2 hours to wash all the salt off again. He's hoping to get a few people down in a group, then have it do more of a full day's flying at a time. There's a new instructor or 2 starting soon too so that will give him even more time to do the serious flying (on floats)!

There are a few more pics of the Lightwing in the photo gallery from memory.

Give him a call. I think it's just an hourly rate. It's also a tail-dragger so you might find it tricky!

Brent.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brentc

Hi Brett,

The LightWing at Tooradin had it's first student on Saturday. I managed to snap this as I cruised past. It's extremely difficult taking photos of a float-plane from in the air. As soon as it touches down it quickly comes to a stop and I zoom overhead to quickly the camera has barely focused! Apparently it's flying around 4 hours a day now given that a new instructor has started.

1_lw.jpg

Guest TOSGcentral

As an add-on to this. The Lightwing makes a great float trainer - I did my endorsement on the amphibian version at Ballina.

Speaking of which - the amphib is rigged as a taildragger, ie two mainwheels forward and two quite light tailwheels. These will not take a great deal of hammer so you have to do wheeler landings on runways. You will save yourself time and money by ensuring that you are right up to speed on wheelers before getting in one as there is not much pitching moment beween level and tail down.

Having said that they are very easy to land and you can get some real greasers out of them. Note: I always left about 200 rpm residual power through the flare and float which gives a little more time to get exactly positioned while getting used to her.

Tony