Maintenance of Trikes when stored

Hi all,

My trike has been idle in the shed since 11 may...

It's wrapped up like a new born baby in a dry clean basement shed..

But I haven't started it because it is a bit risky to do so in the shed...

Just wondering how often others leave their trikes between starts?

I rotax has recommendations...

I aim to get it going this weekend..

Regards

Mark

• Like 2

As your are aware it's better to start them from time to time. However somtimes this is not poss and so when this happens I do the following to help a little... I run the engine up to its running temps. I then stop the motor from running using the choke so that I get a nice oil rich stop on the motor to keep lube in the system... I then remove the fuel bulbs from the bottom of the carbs and drain the fuel out of them. When left the fuel with stale and leave gum and oil in the float chamber... If you can I would rotate the prop from time to time if you can.... Thats what I do and I am sure others will have another point of view...

Regards

Mardy

Hi Mark..

Assuming you have a Rotax 582 fitted, Mardy's sound advice is good, especiaally if you are not able to run-up the engine.

IMO, in addition I usually block (cover or plug) all air intake & exhaust opens to reduce moisture entering your engine internals (causing rust/corrosion).

Of course, if you rotate prop periodically you must remove coverings/plugs then replace. This may reduce possible big end bearing failure later when you commit aviation.

Note: Conducting regular engine compression and bearing tests is ideal, and prior long term storage (note readings) and when you decide to fly again, run engine on ground to operating temps, shutdown, allow to cool, then conduct both tests again and compare readings. The gearbox oil may also deteriate with long term storage, so a must change should occur prior next flight.

I have always sprayed the Rotax's with CRC-225 (blue can) which is very good to keep the aluminium in top condition without damage to electrical components.

Never apply WD-40...to any trike components..it will definitely cause dis-colouration and a gooiey messy engine!

Should you choose to follow these simple ideas I think you have done your best.

Prior your next flight conduct a good solid ground run of the engine, at least you can make an informed decision if your engine is operating within limits, changed or same and is fit to fly.

• Helpful 1

Hi Mark..Assuming you have a Rotax 582 fitted, Mardy's sound advice is good, especiaally if you are not able to run-up the engine.

IMO, in addition I usually block (cover or plug) all air intake & exhaust opens to reduce moisture entering your engine internals (causing rust/corrosion).

Of course, if you rotate prop periodically you must remove coverings/plugs then replace. This may reduce possible big end bearing failure later when you commit aviation.

Note: Conducting regular engine compression and bearing tests is ideal, and prior long term storage (note readings) and when you decide to fly again, run engine on ground to operating temps, shutdown, allow to cool, then conduct both tests again and compare readings. The gearbox oil may also deteriate with long term storage, so a must change should occur prior next flight.

I have always sprayed the Rotax's with CRC-225 (blue can) which is very good to keep the aluminium in top condition without damage to electrical components.

Never apply WD-40...to any trike components..it will definitely cause dis-colouration and a gooiey messy engine!

Should you choose to follow these simple ideas I think you have done your best.

Prior your next flight conduct a good solid ground run of the engine, at least you can make an informed decision if your engine is operating within limits, changed or same and is fit to fly.

Thanks very much for this advice - much appreciated!

I've got to say that the previous owner of my trike did a fantastic job of looking after it (still looks new in every way) and I want to do the best I can to maintain it properly

Mark