Richmond airspace access on weekends?

Bluey

Hi all, anyone know the status of Richmonds control zone on weekends? I've attempted to gain access on quite a number of occasions in the last 3 months or so and every time I ask sydney radar for their status I'm told its active. Are they still deactivating on weekends or has there been a change in their operation? I tend to drive around Richmond often and have to admit that I haven't seen any civilian aircraft flying around at all for quite some time. I know that there are quite a few people who operate parachutes and even microlights out of that area. Any idea if they are still allowed to operate? I have a friend who wants to fly microlights out of emu plains from his backyard but he's in the airspace.

Bluey

Hi all, anyone know the status of Richmonds control zone on weekends? I've attempted to gain access on quite a number of occasions in the last 3 months or so and every time I ask sydney radar for their status I'm told its active. Are they still deactivating on weekends or has there been a change in their operation? I tend to drive around Richmond often and have to admit that I haven't seen any civilian aircraft flying around at all for quite some time. I know that there are quite a few people who operate parachutes and even microlights out of that area. Any idea if they are still allowed to operate? I have a friend who wants to fly microlights out of emu plains from his backyard but he's in the airspace.Bluey

Emu Plain is probably about 25-30 km from Richmond as the Jab flies. I wonder how far south Richmond airspace goes? Regentville?? Mulgoa???

Actually, after carefully comparing the latest VTC chart with google maps, the proposed property is just outside the airspace. Lucky for him. The airspace now kicks in at the Nepean lakes and his property is about 1nm south.

Bluey.

Actually, after carefully comparing the latest VTC chart with google maps, the proposed property is just outside the airspace. Lucky for him. The airspace now kicks in at the Nepean lakes and his property is about 1nm south.Bluey.

I wonder if that location was good luck or good management? Good on him either way.

Hi all, anyone know the status of Richmonds control zone on weekends? I've attempted to gain access on quite a number of occasions in the last 3 months or so and every time I ask sydney radar for their status I'm told its active. Are they still deactivating on weekends or has there been a change in their operation? I tend to drive around Richmond often and have to admit that I haven't seen any civilian aircraft flying around at all for quite some time. I know that there are quite a few people who operate parachutes and even microlights out of that area. Any idea if they are still allowed to operate? I have a friend who wants to fly microlights out of emu plains from his backyard but he's in the airspace.Bluey

They operate the zone 7 days now, off the top of my head I think it's 8am-11pm daily.

For some strange reason, with the current VTC, what was previously a CTR zone is now a restricted RA.

There was some discussion about whether RA aircraft were allowed, and a RAAF controller himself said he wasn't sure; then I caught a glimpse on some paperwork on the topic (anyone else?) that stated you must possess a CASA licence and I think be in an aircraft that fits all those certification criteria that allow you to fly over built up areas etc. The RAAF ATC also said a transponder would certainly help in them allowing to clearance. He also said below 1500ft, call Richmond tower for clearance, above that call Syd radar.

Having said all that, there are powered parachutes that operate near the base, and lots of other private strips and farms with heli pads within the Restricted Area that get 'permission'. So perhaps the best thing to do would be call the ATC at Richmond and ask them. The guy I spoke to was very frindly and helpful.

Chris

Looking a tthe VTC it Restricted R494 from 4500-FL280, & Class C from SFC to 4500. This business of not being able to transit through a CTA zone on an RA certificate is quite a nuisance when trying to get around Sydney & the central coast.