Looking for a good headset - any suggestions?

seb7701

Sounds very handy when you put it that way, Herm.

To be honest I haven't investigated the higher end headsets as its, for me at least, simply another thing that I can't afford or justify. Maybe later on I'll get a 'good' set but for now I'm selling my Minicab and on the lookout for a 95.10 regoed 'beast'.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks Boink - very much appreciate the offer, but I think you might be a bit far.

I am thinking it may be a coin toss between the RA-900's which sound great and the Pilot Avionics, but the RA's sound worth the gamble for that price!

Check out the American made FARO™ headsets on the web, I have a set of FARO™ G2 and have found it to be of a really good standard, mike cuts in quick with no delay, mono or stereo, input for music, great sound reduction, individual volume control and also very comfortable. There price is in the bottom end of the scale and 3 year replacement warranty and lifetime wear and tear warranty. Worth a look at, at least.

David Clarks for me! My set came from an elderly gentleman who had been using them for 15 years and was happy to pass them on to a passionate aviator at a very reasonable price (one of the joys of hanging around a good group of aviators!). They're still spotless and have been utterly dependable for the last 5 years. The Flying School has quite a few sets of David Clarkes (a few different models) - some of them have been going for 20-odd years in the school without any issues apparently. Replace the gel ear pieces and they're right for another 5-10 years without a hiccup. There's a reason they're pretty much the default choice around the world.

Couple of students (and 2 instructors) use the Bose or Lightspeed ANR ones and love them. Personally I'd hate having to carry around extra batteries all the time and having to deal with the battery pack (the damn cables provide me with enough frustration!). Saw a nice cable-free headset being developed at our last fly-in to Temora though which looked promising.

That said before buying I had a go at the different models at the school, along with a few flights with borrowed Lightspeed and Bose headsets and some others whose name I can't remember. Some didn't work with my glasses, some sat weird and others didn't cover my ears properly... Definitely get into a club or school and try them all if you can!

• Like 1